Friday, April 19, 2024

In Rainbows, Dranders


My first intro to Radiohead was actually via my (arguably) favorite film, There Will Be Blood (2007), for which Jonny Greenwood did the score. I was blown away by the polyrhythms and weird percussion that slowly developed into something intense and transfixing, and that is exactly what you get with In Rainbows. This really is an album for musicians, people who appreciate music theory. I mean, how often do you hear a 5/4 time signature outside of the Mission Impossible theme song? There are really no bad tracks on here, but standouts for me include "Nude," just because of how haunting the vocals are. Similarly, I love the chillness of "House of Cards" as a contrast to the more intense pieces. But for all its weirdness, it's still ENJOYABLE. It's not just "PhD music" that is wacky on purpose just to prove you know more than a 4/4 rock beat. In Rainbows is a hypnotically therapeutic listening experience. Honestly nothing negative to say, this shit is incredible.

No comments: