Friday, April 19, 2024

In Rainbows, Walter


Wha-goo-da-nee-da-fooo-fa, da-do-dee-see-me-shu-di-we, ga-goo-who-knew-worms-eat-fish, ge-da-na-we-are-all-fish. Sometimes I make fun of Thom York's singing style with Alison. Ali and I saw him live in the past year at the King's Theatre in Brooklyn. For never seeing—and never really diving into his music the way others seem to be obsessed with—I must say I enjoyed myself, but just didn't connect the same way. It's hard to hear his lyrics unless you listen while you read, or just read... over and over again and then listen more and more and more. But I will say, when you're actually writing about an album of Radiohead's, I tend to do more of the latter. It's hard to read, listen, and write all at once. But in a way, you don't need to worry too much with this record. The minor key helps me keep focus while tuning out at the same time; I know I won't know most of the lyrics anyway, so I can just listen to the melody and lose myself for a bit... but also not lose myself.

I realized just now that Record Club brings me back to the days as a kid when I would listen to a song over and over again until I knew the lyrics super well. And in that, I am sitting here with Ali as she writes her review. We're sharing our opinions about the album out loud. Her experience completely different than mine, but still we better understand each other when we talk about it. And to see Ali listen to the same song over and over and over again reminds me of myself—empathy building I guess.

Brittany, Pam—thanks for indulging this recommendation and taking it to a new level for me. Thanks for showing me how obsessed people are with Radiohead, while being "meh" about Twilight, haha!  Sorry Radiohead! 

Some quotes from YouTube Twilight movie references are below this paragraph—why wouldn't all these folks just listen to the album? They actually sought out Twilight YouTube videos to talk about Radiohead... What a crazy intersection of two media types to bring a community together. Any time someone says the internet is destroying the world, just remember these virtual communities it's creating to relate people to one another; some would have a harder time stumbling across their people if we didn't have the internet. At the same time, how serendipitous it would be to connect in real life more with people on these subjects. This makes Record Club ever-more special. Thanks for the community!

Some quotes from Twilight-Radio YouTube videos:
  • "This makes me really nostalgic...Twilight is kinda dumb, but its also a weirdly comforting movie for me"
  • "Say what you want about Twilight, but the music and visuals were beautiful and perfect."
  • "i'm here for radiohead. close ur eyes and try to dance to this. you will end up in a different world"
  • "This is my favourite part of the movie. Just because of this soooong."
  • "I love twilight, loved it when it came out and i still love it today"
  • "I was introduced to Radiohead from this movie. I will be forever grateful!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was listening to Last Flowers (on part 2) and Videotape over and over