Monday, April 22, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 50: Brianna

Prompt: "A song with literally the sound of at least one animal making its animal noise"

Selected by Brianna


"Walkabout"
Red Hot Chili Peppers
One Hot Minute, 1995

Finally, a YSC prompt for the Red Hots that is neither gross nor sexual nor a review on how bad it is! 

This gem, born during a weird transitional phase of the Peppers discography, was the first non-single that I really enjoyed by the band. An almost prophetical glimpse into Flea's stint as Donnie on The Wild Thornberrys, "Walkabout" shows how well the band thrives in the slightly silly. Despite the lack of seriousness in the general theme of the song, instrumentally the track includes some seriously funky bass lines and guitar interludes. Who knew Dave Navarro had it in him! And let's get real, Kiedis is at his best when he doesn't take himself too seriously. 

Finally, I would be remiss if I ended this post before mentioning the concept of a walkabout itself—or more aptly, its use in one of the best moments of television history. According to Kiedis, you can do a walkabout in many ways: with a shuffle, or a stroll, with bare feet, or two shoes. What he doesn't mention? A wheelchair. Alas, I guess John Locke wasn't a Chili Peppers fan before he boarded Oceanic Flight 815 that fateful day in 2004; otherwise, he may have saved himself an island full of trouble.

No comments: