Saturday, April 27, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 52: Sunny

Prompt: "A song performed by someone who isn't necessarily known as a musician first"

Selected by Sunny


"Common People"
William Shatner
Has Been, 2004

Maybe I should have saved the Jackie Chan song for this one.

This was actually a good exercise in library surfing; I paused at my rediscovery of Shatner's mid-'00s spoken word-ish album. It really says something about the halo effect that Ben Folds was having back then that I even knew about this album, much less listened to it dozens of times as a youth. My nostalgia banks are lighting up here.

With the light of adulthood, I can't decide if this album is good, as in if it's corny but good or corny but bad, but seeing as I started playing the whole album to listen to just this one track and now 40 some minutes has passed, I can say I have a big soft spot for Shatner's antics. Plus I think this Pulp cover track is a lowkey proletariat anthem, so that's cool.

As an aside, I way, way prefer TNG to the original <Star Trek.

No comments: