Prompt: "The oldest song you actually like"
Selected by Sunny
"I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow"
The Soggy Bottom Boys
O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack, 2000
The beauty of PoYB and YSC is you can bend the rules somewhat and everyone's generally happy about it. That's been explicit from the editor and implicit from me already, but sometimes it's fun to restate obvious facts out loud.
Take today; of course, if I took the prompt literally, the answer might be "Für Elise" or something. Or does "oldest song" require lyrics? No, right? Whatever. The answer might be “"Patty Cake" then.
But I don't have to take it literally. I don't even have to admit that I only the selected song because of the 2000 comedy/drama O Brother, rather than the original 1913 Dick Burnett version or the more famous 1928 Emry Arthur version. More famous than the Burnett version, not more famous than the Coen Brothers / George Clooney / Soggy Bottom Boys version, obviously, because that's the only version I can find on YouTube. I imagine I'm not alone in this. Enough movie nostalgia and bluegrassy charm to cast a smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment