The Crutchfield sisters have long had a boy's idea of an idealized alt-rock singing voice. That cracking, crackling timbre works like gangbusters in Clinton-era cosplay (Swearin') and it sounds fine in this application of Americana-as-country. At the risk of confirming accused latent inabilities to overcome marketing or hear music pitched at tone lower than maximum, the slowest parts of this album remind me that Wilco really hasn't lost a step in the last decade or so. What are people searching for, and why is it this? In all, it's fine.
Friday, April 12, 2024
Tigers Blood, Nate
The Crutchfield sisters have long had a boy's idea of an idealized alt-rock singing voice. That cracking, crackling timbre works like gangbusters in Clinton-era cosplay (Swearin') and it sounds fine in this application of Americana-as-country. At the risk of confirming accused latent inabilities to overcome marketing or hear music pitched at tone lower than maximum, the slowest parts of this album remind me that Wilco really hasn't lost a step in the last decade or so. What are people searching for, and why is it this? In all, it's fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I legitimately don't understand the 'Wilco hasn't lost a step' comment; would love an explanation, unless that hurts your artistic license
So, in the straightest possible line, a lot of this album reminds me of Wilco, in that it reminds me of Americana (defined here as a mid-tempo goulash of folk, country, and rock that feels specifically referential or borrowed from, say, 1964 to 1978). Wilco has operated more-or-less in that "Americana" modal since Sky Blue Sky, but it feels especially true of their later works (though I've only listened to Cousin once so there might be more there, and I think Star Wars deserves more credit for being slyly weird). So, basically, what I was trying to say in my own ass-eating way was that this album reminded me in sections of Wilco, and I would probably just rather listen to the real thing than this particular version of the thing.
Broadly speaking, I don't get the fuss about Waxahatchee, but that's why I'm going to see bands with names like "Meat Wave" with 40 other people on a Tuesday and Ms. Crutchfield is playing festivals.
Post a Comment