Friday, August 15, 2025

Discussion — Week 341: The Doors by the Doors


Has anyone ever read this book? I'd be curious to see how it affects your opinion about the Doors. Probably none? Just because it influenced the band members doesn't necessarily mean that it influences the band's listeners. But I guess you never know. I encourage any mentions of the book in the discussion below. One thing I will DISCOURAGE is talking about the Oliver Stone film The Doors, only because Film Club is covering it this upcoming Tuesday, and that's a whole different comment section. I'll be here, I'll be there, I'll be everywhere talking about the Doors. See you around.

13 comments:

Joe K said...

Is it even possible to "review" a "classic" album like this? I think it makes sense that this would be the question to grapple with in the review. Lots of people, myself included, felt boxed in by preconceived notions. I'd argue in favor of doing this kind of album every once in a while, though. You can feel the shift from "discover" to "rediscover."

Joe K said...

I was expecting the lightning rod of opinion to be Jim Morrison himself, and it pretty much was. But I was surprised to see the wide range of opinions about "The End" as well. We got:

1. high art, in that it is discomforting
2. a conduit of Morrison's ramblings
3. saved the best for last
4. a reminder of past blog posts
5. the perfect song for smoking a joint
6. a good bit
7. a wild and meandering meditation (positive)
8. groovy rather than boring

Joe K said...

Glad Sunny mentioned the dorm room poster. My thing was: only posters of the full band (if there was one—I had a poster of just Bob Dylan). So I had all of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and the Doors. I think my Doors poster was the picture from the cover of Waiting for the Sun (without the album's title on it), or maybe from the same photo session as that album art. I forget. I got rid of most of my posters after they survived sophomore year by being duct-taped to the walls.

Joe K said...

What's good this weekend? PoYB contributor Lamson is coming into town, gonna try to hang with him and a couple more of you mopes tomorrow. Got a few options for tonight's movie night pick, either Babe or Troop Zero or The Cat Returns, about to show 'em some trailers now and let them pick.

Nate said...

I am looking for JUDGEMENT and RECCOMENDATIONS.

One of my favorite idioms is "use every part of the buffalo." I use it a lot in a work setting, especially in times when my job is basically "find something to email to people." Like how the native Americans would "use every part of the buffalo" in their hunting and culture, so too will I use every part of whatever it is project I am working on to inform every other project I am working on. This is what is known in the business as "strategy."

Anyway, is this idiom, like it's cousins in professional sports and sitting "Indian style," out-modded and small-minded? Am I performing a micro-aggression when I drop this phrase in meetings? It seems like the answer is yes, especially and not limited to the reason that not all first peoples hunted buffaloes, in fact a whole host of what we understand as "native Americans" never even saw a friggin' buffalo.

AND YET: I find myself reaching for this phrase because I don't have a better short-hand for "we're going to milk this thing for all it is worth," even though that right there isn't all that bad, though I don't like discussing the concept of "milking something" when at work.

So, in summary: 1) Am I guilty of being a bigot and, as such, must I be sent to the woke gulag? and 2) What's a better way to say "I'm gonna wring this thing for all it's worth?"

Gloria said...

In “The Jungle” Sinclair uses the phrase “everything but the squeal.” Idk if talking about meat packing is any better than milking? It’s kind of worse

It depends on the context, but just saying “waste not, want not.”

It’s usually said negatively, but I guess the phrase, “so tight they squeak when they walk” is also about not wasting anything?

Joe K said...

I'm white so I'm not the guy giving permission. But the buffalo phrase feels different to me than "Indian style." You'd have to infer race from the use of the buffalo, whereas the sitting style has the race (and not even the right word for that race!) right there in the phrase.

Also, it's a metaphor based on truth. Indigenous people in America used the whole buffalo! And it was a good thing! You're not commenting negatively on it when you say that phrase. It's a metaphor meant to imply something positive.

Racial insensitivity requires some sort of mockery, some negative implication. The Redskins were insensitive because the word was historically a slur. "Indian style" brings race into it for no reason other to imply that a race of people sit a different way, which isn't true. What is the negative connotation of using the whole buffalo?

I'm not instructing, I'm honestly asking. It feels different to me. If any Indigenous person claimed offense, I would take it seriously. It's that the case? Or is this just you being cautious?

Woke Anon said...

lets fucking kill him

Brian M said...

I've actually covered this on my other blog! I am not white I am Italian and I used to own the entire Doors box set, but I mostly agree with Joe, context important ofc but none of it necessarily feels close to "idc if ur black white yellow or PURPLE..." liking the alt phrase ~nose to tail/head to tail~ tho! that one feels very jelly roll tgif :)

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/514294/what-are-some-alternative-phrases-for-using-the-whole-buffalo

sunny said...

indeed getting creative and finding synergies is what we in business like to call 'strategy'

Have you considered re-contextualizing the buffalo altogether and keeping the phrase? Perhaps some sort of dominant hand focused drinking game?

sunny said...

a man needs a code, especially when it concerns college art

sunny said...

glad to see the range. glad to see someone brought up the question if 'doors' is even acceptable as a bandname

Joe K said...

Calling yourself "The Doors" in 1967 is like getting a Gmail address with your full name in it in 2006—if you were there toward the beginning, then it's okay to be basic.