Saturday, November 16, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 160: Nate

Prompt: "Your least favorite holiday song, played waaaaay too early in the year"

Selected by Nate


"Merry Happy Christmas"
Jimmy Fallon ft. Chelsea Handler
Holiday Seasoning, 2024

It's an absolute race to the bottom on this thing. Calling a thing "cursed" in 2024 is to warm up a cliché that has long been left out on the counter and is certainly not safe for consumption anymore, but clichés don't come from nowhere, and any album that has both Jimmy Fallon and Meghan Trainor on the same song certainly feels like the result of someone spitting on a witch or hitting a gypsy with their car.

Picking through the album, one recalls what Ed Tom Bell said about the devil in No Country for Old Men (novel, not movie):

"They asked me if I believed in Satan. I had to think about that. I guess as a boy I did. Come the middle years my belief I reckon had waned somewhat. Now I'm startin' to lean back the other way. He explains a lot of things that otherwise don't have no explanation. Or not to me they don't." Hey, look at that, there's a polka song on this thing. What Jimmy Fallon has done to the Roots is beyond forgiveness, but the Roots must also claim their culpability and their agency, mortgages are paid in blood.

At the end of the day, people should get what they deserve, should get what they want. Merry Christmas to those who reach for a Jimmy Fallon album, may the light someday find you. Times like this, High Fidelity feels like non-fiction.

3 comments:

Joe K said...

I am sorry to report that Holiday Seasoning by Jimmy Fallon is already listed as one of the choices on the annual RC Holiday Album Poll. I won't be voting for it, but if this is what the people want, then there's nothing either of us can do to stop it.

Nate said...

You are the Anton Chigur of blogging.

Joe K said...

If you choose two more songs from this album for YSC, it will be ineligible for RC, and I'll be forced to remove it from the poll.