This is Rose Stone of Sly and the Family Stone. Rose Stone and the Stone Roses have probably never crossed path, except for dumb blog posts like this, where we mention linguistic quirks in an effort to fill space so that there's room for a discussion board in the comment section. This will also make it easier for me to remember this connection when RC finally covers Sly and the Family Stone and I'll need something to fill the "Previously on Record Club" section.
What'd we think of that Stone Roses album? How about the reviews? Is anyone here still from that 24 Hour Party People discussion? And what's your favorite Sly and the Family Stone album???

10 comments:
Gave myself permission to skip over talking about the album itself too much and its merits. Hopefully the grade at the bottom carried the water in that regard. I love this shit. And I was being serious when I said it took me till 24 Hour Party People to understand what the fuck "Fools Gold" was even doing on here, but now I listen and I love that too. Probably the closest I've come to giving an album a 5 pukes out of 5 since Arctic Monkeys.
Ranking of songs on this album:
13. "Elizabeth My Dear"
12. "Don't Stop"
11. "Shoot You Down"
10. "Made of Stone"
9. "Fools Gold"
8. "Waterfall"
7. "I Wanna Be Adored"
6. "Elephant Stone"
5. "Bye Bye Badman"
4. "I Am the Resurrection"
3. "This Is the One"
2. "(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister"
1. "She Bangs the Drums"
I was tempted to write about what "Bye Bye Badman" made me think about, but I dunno, it involves some domestic violence stuff that I don't feel ready to write about and wouldn't have permission to write about on here anyway, and it probably would've taken us way off track in an already anecdote-heavy album review.
Also could've written about how the rhythm from 2:57 to 3:05 on "(Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister" has fucked me up literally every time I've listened to it over the past sixteen years. I have this click track in my brain and that moment just, like, dislodges it somehow. I can count out loud and it makes sense, but when I'm not paying attention and just listening to it, that part makes my brain do a little flip.
I don't think any of this was exciting enough to make the cut for the review, so that's why you're getting it here. I'm really just trying to paint a picture here of an album that has dug deep for me.
Lots to smile about in the reviews this week. I liked Zach taking the "how do I feel in this moment" think literally by describing what was around him, it really did paint a picture of how an album like this might make you feel. I liked Nate's optimism and the idea that the Stone Roses were able to capture so much and make an amalgam of so many good sounds. I liked Gloria's thoughts about inviting fresh voices to show off their favorite albums, which softened my view on that idea (even more so than the fact that Bobby literally chose one of my favorite albums). I liked Sunny describing British accents as a "foreign language," that one made me laugh in its accuracy (I have never been able to watch The Office UK because of this).
And most of all, thanks to Bobby for choose this album and sharing his experiences with it. I obviously co-sign the idea that albums put you in a certain place and time and that's what makes them important, in addition to the music itself. I wonder if I was ever at K/A with Bobby, and whether we were both listening to the same album.
I enjoyed your shaggy dog story, especially the impression of the British-boyfriend accent. It's only a matter of time before he's writing on poyb
Everclear also is everything to everyone, and with any luck I'll see em in concert
Music has got to be the most powerful time traveling device we have. Smells are maybe a second place. I can't help but mentally attach some of our RC club albums to seasons for no other reason
I tried to contact ex-girlfriend for a Summer Song Challenge bit, but she did not respond. Might have been a bad phone number, as it was provided by this blog post's supporting cast, Sean E., and he wasn't sure either. So the chances are Brit BF is gone forever. R.I.P.
They knew that last week was RC Stone Roses week, and managed to finish up the mural in time!!
Post a Comment