Friday, May 1, 2026

In a Time Lapse, Sunny


What is classical music anyway? What is my perceived oxymoron of classical music made in the modern era? When I think "Classic," I think Greek shit, The Odyssey and stuff, Roman shit, uh, Beethoven, but perhaps it's just some sort of "ideal" form of music. Classique. Unlike Pop music, which is targeted towards hogs like myself.

Random tribulations aside, this album is a delight. The title track sets a gravitas that holds all the way through. The piano forward tracks like "Walk," "Run" (do I love ambulating), and title track "In a Time Lapse" (with its spacey songs) stand out. I suppose much of this album reminds me of some of my favorite game/TV/movie scores, and I guess that's what a modern composer may be reaching for as some sort of gauntlet.

I sometimes wonder how well emotion can be transmitted without words or image, but here it is, plain and clear. Songs life "Life" work to say something. The extra bits from the YouTube AMV-style videos are more distracting than anything.

There are little other noted variations among tracks, like the triangles in "Orbits," giving texture to the album, but the piano-strings 1-2 combo is the driving force. It's a morose, heavy album, funny to say when I can't point to a specific theme, but also with a lot of energy making it a fun listen to work to and walk around with.

P.S. In my constant quest to find more lyric-less low-BPM tracks, this week was a win.

No comments: