WOR$T GIRL IN AMERICA is a burn-it-all-down, do-what-you-want, electro-pop dance album that I really enjoyed. I am currently reading a college hockey romance series, and "DANCE..." would absolutely be on a playlist for the TV series adaptation. This has all the fun of a 2000s pop album, with all the glorious synth and discordant sound moments I can dig. We in the club.
Remember J.Lo's "Waiting for Tonight"? She set my standard for "get me to the dance floor" excitement. That anticipation of going to a middle school dance was so strong, but the reality so lacking. J.Lo was not talking about a bunch of tween boys eating Cool Ranch Doritos as girls sprayed more Bath and Bodyworks Raspberry body splash (or a Cucumber Melon if you were that girly) all over themselves. "You seem miserable / it doesn't matter / let me dance." I've been this girl and I have no regrets.
By "CANNIBALISM!" I am digging Slayyyter. I like her voice—Gwen Stefani meets Kesha. "OLD TECHNOLOGY" is a moment. "You copy paste the vibes," ROASTED. "I'm taking drugs tonight / not the ones I'm prescribed" is the lyrical phrase I didn't know I needed. Poetry paired with a sick beat.
"BRITTANY MURPHY." was a bop. I love the reference to that tragic, large-eyed star. This whole album feels like a party girl's dream, and a reflection on the dangers—but in a way maybe only an old lady like myself can see—of retrospection that come with age, and hangovers, and lost jackets at a bar.

No comments:
Post a Comment