Thursday, May 14, 2026

In My Place 133

May 13, 2026. 40.04342, -75.13675. See the updated map here. See all the blog posts here.


The reemergence of Parker's half-assed street-sweeping program, and its various byzantine parking rules around the neighborhood that I usually park for work, awakened me to the fact that I didn't have to continue parking in the same spot every day, that there were other, even more convenient places to drop my car for eight hours or so. So now I'm like 1.5 blocks closer to home when I arrive back at my car at the end of another long day in the windowless office, which is good.

It also means adjusting to the new routines. By "routines" I mean the things and places and people and creatures I see every day, the same morning as the last, over and over, providing a small sense of comfort that nothing changes and that everything will be here for as long as I keep breathing.

This is a cat that is either an outdoor cat or a stray cat. He's usually eating food out of this bowl on this stoop. His name is Harry Nilsson. I don't care about this cat. I have no warm feelings toward him. He's just something I see every day. I will say hi to him just like I say hi to the old dude who sits on his stoop down the street every morning when I pass. Just part of the backdrop of a humdrum life. Nothing exciting to see here, but it's comforting, to be in a routine.

No comments: