The first layer is the trust that you're not going to die as you commute to and from. There are regulations that keep the trains running smoothly and safely, and those regulations will hold so as long as our functioning society does... which, ya know, not a guarantee, but a hope.
The second layer is the trust that you're going to get to where you're supposed to go. There are plans, routes, maps, systems, you trust that when you get onto the vehicle that you will end up in the place where you need to go.
The third layer is the trust that you're going to get there when you were promised you will get there. This is the layer of trust that is cracked and frayed in this great city that I call home. But every morning, I wake up and I get onto a train and I trust. Foolhardy, perhaps, but living with mistrust will rot your bones and mold your skin. I live with trust. I want to get to where I need to go when I need to get there, alive. I trust that it will happen.
A leap of faith today, when I got on the local train but got off a few stations later because there was an express train scheduled to pick me up maybe four minutes later. I spent those four minutes meditating on trust. And the trust was rewarded, when the express train arrived.
And I sat on the express as we sped past the local train that I had taken originally, and I learned to keep trusting, keep trusting, it'll all work out okay.


No comments:
Post a Comment