Friday, May 15, 2026

Golem, Gene


Wand's second album is a very ambitious record that starts off with a bang. Wall of sound takes over, taking my breath away, makes me wonder what comes next. I really start to question whether I'll be able to handle it because what do I expect next after experiencing a handful of this heavy substance. The west coast quartet have a great experience translating studio to live and back guiding me through a rich landscape of organized chaos. Golem is a decade-long album, is a stroke of untidy genius and an eruption of creativity. There is a strong psychedelic theme throughout the record, and it comes on unexpectedly every now and then. The energy carries on until "Melted Rope" with echoes of Pink Floyd, but not for long as we're thrown back in the hot fire of heavy garage riffs for a few songs. The whole experience is a thrilling roller coaster with a build, suspense, and high speed descent on repeat. Towards the last portion of the album, I'm experiencing what I'm imagining, a private show taking place in the basement while I'm peaking on acid and witnessing playful energy of these seasoned rock wizards as they're putting a torch to my mushy brain. As we suspend into hellscape of hot lava, there is sense of accomplishment, an epiphany, yet I emerge and walk away with nothing, just wishing for more.

No comments: