Friday, May 8, 2026

In My Place 127

May 7, 2026. 40.03887, -75.14462. See the updated map here. See all the blog posts here.


I am and have for 20 years been a big fan of the color schemes of the various stops along the Broad Street Line. This one is burned into my brain, having started every collegial public transportation adventure at this stop (albeit on the southbound side, normally). Olney is orange and blue. Those are its colors. That's what you feel when you talk about Olney Transportation Center. You feel orange and blue.

What are some other color schemes? It's honestly not enough. There are repeats. Logan and Allegheny and Susquehanna-Dauphin are all basically the same brownish-maroonish. Spring Garden and Girard are almost the same, causing me to confuse my stops. Maybe I'm missing some in South Philly, which I'm less familiar with in my 30s, but I don't think that there are many purple hues.

But Erie is green and orange. North Philly is red with blue. Cecil B. Moore is green on white. Isn't Oregon green and yellow? I'm closing my eyes and trying to remember without falling asleep. Race-Vine is like Erie, but wait, does Erie have any yellow in it? I forget. I'm actually not really paying all that much attention to the stops anymore. Especially now that I ride the express as often as I can, and it blows past some of the small stops.

Today, however, I got on the wrong express, and had to transfer after a few minutes at Olney. And I surrounded myself with blue and orange and marveled at how strong the memory seems to be tied to color.

No comments: