Saturday, November 16, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 160: Gilson

Prompt: "Your least favorite holiday song, played waaaaay too early in the year"

Selected by Gilson


"Last Christmas"
Wham!
single, 1984

I am not going to beat around the bush here: this song sucks shit. It is a bad song. "Gilson," you may say, "surely this is not worse than 'Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime.'" And to you I say: they are equally as bad. 

There are two great Christmas songs ("Christmas Wrapping," "Fairytale of New York"), and there are a lot of good Christmas songs (alternative rock songs, anything from Muppets Christmas Carol). There are longer lists of bad Christmas songs. I'm not going to get into much explanation because I don't really have it in me right now. 

But just know that the worst are this, "Simply Having," and "Do They Know It's Christmas?". That last one is the Donald Trump of Christmas songs, and I will not be explaining that any further.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

"Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" is post-punk, and the hate against it is overexaggerated.

Nate said...

"Donald Trump of Christmas songs" is a provocative concept.