Friday, March 20, 2026

Discussion — Week 372: A Sense of Freedom by the Wolfe Tones


I would be open to an ELI5 about the IRA and about Irish independence, if anyone has the time. I feel like the movie we watched earlier in the week was helpful, as were the Wolfe Tones. But I still get so hung up on binaries—who are the good guys vs. who are the bad guys, mostly—that I just want to make complete sense of it. Someone tell me something I don't know about Irish history.

And in the meantime, how did we do with the album? Any reviews change your mind? Let's chat.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

A couple people said it—this felt more like an educational opportunity than an enjoyable listening experience. I am still curious 1) how familiar you were with Celtic folk before this week, and 2) how familiar you were with the history of Ireland before this week. For me, #1 is "very" and #2 is "barely at all," which affected my understanding of this album for sure.

Joe K said...

I also feel like—and the lack of discussion here might bear this out—maybe this was a "holiday" album, and it's just really difficult to listen to after said holiday. This reminds me of when we covered the Philly Specials' Christmas album the week after Christmas.