Saturday, March 21, 2026

In My Place 079

March 20, 2026. 40.05961, -75.09561. See the updated map here. See all the blog posts here.


On my ride to work I opened my eyes and fucking noticed everything I could including

— two raccoons staring me down when I caught them leaving an apartment complex dumpster

— a statue down the hill on a lawn that I could've sworn was going to end up being one of those street performers who acted like they were a statue only to scare people, and I was scared

— this mechanic, which I have literally no memories of from my childhood, even though I know it's been there my whole life, like my friends and I would have zero reason to be over here, geographically, whereas ya know the other one up on Martins Mill and Oakley had that one time an acquaintance was dicking around opening its cars' doors and the mechanic showed up all beefy and shirtsleeveless and gripped the acquaintance by the neck

— so many goddamn potholes that have altered my path on the parkway so that it looks like a game of Snake

— the creek where I saw beavers building a dam one time

— a billboard of the lawyer who shot someone outside a club and got off scot-free because his brother worked for Krasner or some shit

and all this and more, everything I thought to myself that I should remember but couldn't remember because it's been six hours since I made the trip, and work the blasted my brain of all short-term memories, except for these...

...and maybe I was a little worried too, because I walked out my door this morning and M. was like "are you walking?" and I wasn't walking, I had chosen to drive, and I hopped in the car and WXPN was playing Passion Pit's "Take a Walk" and I began to wonder whether I had made the wrong decision.

Didn't want to get in an accident, in other words.

Though those raccoons would've loved that, I'm sure.

No comments: