Sunday, March 1, 2026

Album of the Week: WARM

I'm starting to gather some albums together for the now-annual RC Summer Polls. Just because it worked out pretty well last year. It gave me a good excuse to email everyone individually about Record Club, kinda put it on people's minds for a little bit. Sure, a lot of people continued to ignore Puke on Your Birthday, but that's always gonna be the case whether I'm emailing or not. I like the idea of getting all my friends involved in a project, even if the idea doesn't necessarily come to fruition. In any case, if you have any ideas for albums to vote on, let me know!

Record Club:

WEEK 370 — March 1-7, 2026


WARM
by Jeff Tweedy

LISTEN:

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY ZACH

ZACH'S PITCH: "I love Wilco, have listened to most of their stuff, but not much of Jeff Tweedy's solo stuff. Rather than pick a more 'out there' album, I wanted to pick one more close to home. Listening to Tweedy for me is, in fact, like coming home."

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: Alt-country, singer-songwriter

RELEASED: November 30, 2018

LENGTH: 39:45

TRACKLIST:
  1. Bombs Above
  2. Some Birds
  3. Don't Forget
  4. How Hard It Is for a Desert to Die
  5. Let's Go Rain
  6. From Far Away
  7. I Know What It's Like
  8. Having Been Is No Way to Be
  9. The Red Rock
  10. Warm (When the Sun Has Died)
  11. How Will I Find You?
LYRICS: Genius

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: he/him/his

ABOUT: Jeffrey Scot Tweedy was born on August 25, 1967, in Belleville, Illinois. He is most famously the frontman of the band Wilco. He formed Wilco after his previous band, Uncle Tupelo (f.k.a. the Plebes) broke up (the other main member of Uncle Tupelo, Jay Farrar, went on to form Son Volt). The bulk of Tweedy's music has been with Wilco (as well as the bulk of his critical success and awards earned), but he's also released a few solo albums, and been a member of a few side project / supergroup-type bands, including Golden Smog and the Minus 5, plus collabs with Billy Bragg. He also released an album with his drumming son Spencer Tweedy as the band Tweedy. He has been married to his wife for 31 years, and had converted to Judaism.

DISCOGRAPHY: WARM is Tweedy's second of five solo albums. The most recent was last year's triple LP Twilight Override (disqualified from RC due to length). He's also released thirteen albums with Wilco, and has four albums with Uncle Tupelo.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: George Saunders—he of BBBBook Club's Tenth of December, Sunny's pick in July 2020—wrote the liner notes for WARM, and you can read them (in lieu of owning the physical copy of the album) HERE.

WATCHING SOME SHIT: Here's Jeff Tweedy doing karaoke. And here's a video review of WARM. I don't think I've ever included a review in this space, and if you're the type of person whose own opinion is going to be altered by someone else's, then maybe don't watch. But this dude, Joshua Kirk, popped up in my google searches, and then I found an interview by RC alum Phoebe Bridgers talking about him. I just like shouting out other people who are out there on the internet doing something they love just to do it, just for the love of the game. Good work, Joshua!

RECORD CLUB CONNECTIONS: Spencer Tweedy, who plays drums on this album, also played drums on Waxahatchee's Tigers Blood. Bob Ludwig does the mastering here and on at least Forever for Now, but that album's RC blurb indicates there are dozens more.

Tweedy was on the I'm Not There soundtrack along with all the artists named in the Bob Dylan blurb. He was on a Roky Erikson tribute album with Margo Price. He was on a Jandek tribute album with the Mountain Goats. Golden Smog seems to be a loose collective of musicians, and apparently Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie was a part of it as well.

I know Zach is a fan of this one show, it's in Portland, I forget what it's called, but a ton of musicians appeared on that show over its run, including Tweedy, Kurt Vile, Jack White (Raconteurs), No Doubt, and Run the Jewels.

I can't say for certain, but I think this is only the second Jeff in Record Club, after the Arrogant Sons of Bitches' Jeff Rosenstock. Though apparently MCR's Gerard Way looks like a Jeff, or at least a Jeff's brother.

MENTIONS ON THE BLOG: "Wilco" has about four times the number of hits than "Tweedy" when I search through Blogger, but I think we should only include blog posts that specifically mention Jeff Tweedy, right? Something Borrowed from 2016; thoughts on the Wilco doc; Uncle Tupelo as a Blind Spot; an excuse to talk about crime; YSC Day 29 for Zach; YSC Day 137 for Zach; YSC Day 180 for Zach. Plenty of other mentions of Tweedy's various bands if you go looking!

~~~~~~~~~~

COUNTDOWN:
69 Weeks Until Week 420


We are tracking and counting down every week from here on out till Record Club Week 420. We started this countdown 69 weeks out. During Record Club Week 420, we will be covering Donny Most by the esteemed Happy Days virgin Donny Most. The goal for Week 420 of Record Club is that it will feature 69 reviews from 69 different people. 

THIS WEEK: We are 50 weeks away from Week 420.

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

No comments: