Tuesday, March 17, 2026

In My Place 075

March 16, 2026. 39.95593, -75.16602. See the updated map here. See all the blog posts here.


Skipping out an hour early, walking to the subway: ever since this building was built, I have regretted never living in it. It's not a unique building, there are hundreds of thousands like it, the condominium type with apartments whose entire street-facing walls are windows. I used to borrow cars parked in the garage across the street from here, and could see into some of those rooms, and felt like I understood the impulse of those who kept the windows wide open, letting people like me watch them for the fifteen seconds it took the parking garage elevator to arrive. Feels good to have the window wide open and high up, on display. One of the only one night stands I ever had in college was in a dorm room like this. It was, like, healing almost, to stand there in front of the window as the night turned into day. Life isn't pointing toward living in such an apartment in my lifetime, but it's on my mind as I skip out of work early and daydream a little.

No comments: