Prompt: "A song that you know for sure makes someone else think of you when they hear it"
Selected by Sunny
"I'll Be"
Edwin McCain
Misguided Roses, 1997
In retrospect, this song sucks, which is why I'm sure it still rings that bell. Good to end the year out with some real stinkers you know? But nostalgic stinkers.
They say the memory part of the brain is very close, geographically, to the smell part of the brain, which is why certain odors and fragrances can transport people back in time. By the same logic, the part of the brain where earworms dig in must also be close to the memory part of the brain, for even the smallest phrases from the worst songs take me back if they fully imprinted during an open moment of time.
Also see "The Scientist" for an early crush, and "The General" for B., the friend who I like to reminisce about and ponder. The year's almost out and I still haven't been able to contact him, back to square one, in a sense, but older and sadder now. If my life were a Persona game, this would be a lost social link. This blog's no stranger to BoJack-style feelings ("Hey wouldn't it be funny if this night were the last time we ever talked to each other"), so it's nice, if nothing else, to hold on to the powerful memory associations of song for a bit longer.
1 comment:
Without any additional information, I am forced to assume that Sunny lost his virginity to the sweet sounds of Edwin McCain's "I'll Be" (a song I totally assumed was Goo Goo Dolls up until this very moment, when Sunny played his devirginizing song for us).
Post a Comment