Prompt: "A song with an adverb and a preposition in the title"
Selected by Zach
"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other"
Willie Nelson
single, 2006
Fascinating. A song about how cowboys are often gay. This is the plot of Brokeback Mountain. Willie went for it. When I found this song, I found myself wishing it came out in like the '70s, that it would be ahead of its time. But it came out in 2009. I'm still into it.
I once went to a thing called Cowboy Camp in Mosquero, New Mexico during my cross-country bike trip. It was actually a few miles outside Mosquero. We saw signs for it and didn't know what it was. Turns out it was a Christian gathering of cowboys. We heard songs like "I Just Found Out Jesus Loves Cowboys." The cowboys who were there taught us to lasso. Later that night, we went into town, to the saloon. The cowboys who were there asked the women from our trip to dance. There was something about New Mexico ranch hands in a hat and boots squiring sunburned women from East Coast cities around a dance floor in an American village with a population hovering around 100.
2 comments:
Pam played me the 2024 version of this song (Orville Peck covering it with a Willie Nelson duet), and I assumed it was a new song! Interesting to find out that it was famously covered in 2006, and first appeared in 1981.
Ah wow 1981! That changes the whole premise of this post
Post a Comment