Sunday, December 29, 2024

Album of the Week: The End Is Near

Welcome to Record Club! Every Sunday (like today, for the 309th Sunday in a row), you can come to Puke on Your Birthday to find out what our Album of the Week is. There is a plethora of information about the album and the artist in that announcement blog post, as well as links to various streaming services so that you can check the album out for yourself. On Friday mornings, we post album reviews for anyone who wants to write out about the RC album that week. There's also a discussion board posted after the reviews, if you are following along with each album but are not inspired to write a review.

It's all about the music, man. That's why we're doing this. Music is awesome. Music can be inspirational. Music can change your life. Could be that it already has before, when you were younger. My proposal is that you stick around here for a little bit, come back for a few weeks in a row, and see if you can find that joy about music once more. Find something new, something that changes you. This is the easiest way to do it. FUCK THE ALGORITHM.

To those returning for a new year, thanks for being here. I hope you're having as much fun as I am. To those who are starting your Record Club journey fresh, I say: Welcome! Glad to have you. I'm Joe, and I'll be your host for at least the next 691 weeks. Hit me up if you have any questions. Happy listening!

Record Club:

WEEK 309 — December 29, 2024-January 4, 2025


The End Is Near
by the New Year

LISTEN:

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY JOE

JOE'S COMMENTS: I've never heard this band before, hopefully you haven't either. It's good to start the new year fresh. This is how I found this band: I searched for "bands for the new year." I think I have heard of the New Year, but I can't be certain. The album title felt right for the occasion too—some irony to remind us that Record Club will never end.

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: Indie rock, slowcore, slacker rock

RELEASED: May 18, 2004

LENGTH: 33:59

TRACKLIST:
  1. The End's Not Near
  2. Sinking Ship
  3. Chinese Handcuffs
  4. Plan B
  5. Disease
  6. Age of Conceit
  7. Start
  8. 18
  9. Stranger to Kindness
LYRICS: Genius.com

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: he/him/his for the Kadane brothers

ABOUT: The New Year formed in 1999. I can't find where they formed, though I guess sometimes that's not important. It might be Texas, because that's where frontmen Matt and Bubba Kadane are from. They were in a band called Bedhead, and formed the New Year when Bedhead broke up in 1998. The New Year also count Mike Donofrio (bass) and Chris Brokaw (drums) as members. I lied, this specifically states that the band doesn't have a "home base." Sometimes Dallas, sometimes Boston. Their last album was almost eight years ago, but Wikipedia still uses present-tense pronouns, so no break up or breaks for the New Year that we know of.

DISCOGRAPHY: The End Is Near is the band's second album. The first was Newness Ends in 2001. A self-titled came out in 2008, and then a comeback album in 2017 called Snow.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: a 2018 interview with the Kadane brothers on a blog

WATCHING SOME SHIT: the video for "Disease," apparently the band's first video

RECORD CLUB CONNECTIONS: Death Cab for Cutie has a song called "The New Year" on Transatlanticism. Steve Albini produced this one and also Mclusky Do Dallas (as well as being a quasi-mentor to Bully). Band of Horses has covered "The End's Not Near" (but I won't listen until I hear the original version at least 30 times). Not too many "slowcore" bands around these parts—especially since slowcore is a TikTok thing now, weirdly—but this is the first band that even touches this genre since Slowdive.

MENTIONS ON THE BLOG: None that I know of! The name doesn't lend itself to easy searches, but I can't recall off the top of my head any mentions from anyone of this band or of Bedhead.

~~~~~~~~~~

RC CLASSIC ALBUM OF THE WEEK

Every week from now on, we're giving a quick re-listen to the RC album we covered five years ago exactly. Check out the quick reevaluation every Friday morning, before the regular reviews. Reevaluation, reflection, something like that.

WEEK 48: December 29, 2019-January 4, 2020
Better EP by Caracara

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Cracking up because all week i've been listening to next weeks pick. Glad I checked today!

Joe K said...

Let me know if there is anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen!

Sara said...

I think it’s more about my reading comprehension skills but thank you