Tuesday, December 31, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 180: Sunny

Prompt: "A song about forever"

Selected by Sunny


"Yours Truly, 2095"
ELO
Time, 1981

To you, 2,000 years from now; Boy, I'm letjagged. I met my friend's five-year-old kid the other day—cute kid. When asked what the biggest number was he said "Infinity," which is a pretty snappy answer to a stupid question.

In The Gay Science (tee-hee), Nietzche retreads the thought experiment that life may be on a recurring loop. Since time and space are generally understood as infinite in all directions, but the universe we're in has a long but limited time span, once it gets to that final point of entropy you're looking at conditions similar to the pre big-bang start of the universe, and so, it'll probably big-bang again. (Similarly, try Asimov's excellent "The Last Question.") Even if next time the universe starts it's not exactly like this time, that's fine—time is still infinite. It'll keep ending and starting again, and again, and again, forever. Eventually one of those iterations will be the same as this one we're in right now, and since it's still infinite, that means actually there will be infinite iterations the same as this one. Thinking about re-living this day, week, life, exactly as it is again and again, does that bring you joy or dread? For me, I guess, it's at least some license to not fret so much.

Also see The Dark Tower for all my fellow King heads out there. Don't worry, you'll get around to finishing it.

Anyway, there's one last paragraph of navel gazing bullshit to mull on. Been a great year y'all. If you're making new year's resolutions, good luck, and if you're not, good on you. See you bright and early '25 for more fun on the best websight on the net: pukeonyourbirthday dot com.

3 comments:

Zach said...

A perfect final post, here's to 2025.

Joe K said...

Fuck, is the YSC finale going to be the thing that finally gets me to check out ELO?

As I've said every NYE for six NYEs now, keep coming back!

Nate said...

If I had to rank 'em, I'd probably go:

3) Orchestras
2) Electricity
1) Light