Thursday, December 19, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 174: Sara

Prompt: "A song that you know for sure makes someone else think of you when they hear it"

Selected by Sara


"Bike Dream"
Rostam
Bike Dream, 2017

I didn't even ask Ryan what song would fit this prompt. I'm sure there might be another, but "Bike Dream" would be in the top three. We met in July 2017 at work. I was 28 and recently hired to what would be the worst place I've ever worked. He was 25 and living with his college girlfriend. By December, I had such a crush on this now 26-year-old (thank god) man. I made a pass at him at our company holiday party. It was egregious, but I had a nasty habit between 23 and 26 of hooking up with a few guys that definitely had girlfriends. So, maybe it would be worth it? 

I drunkenly grabbed his hand while we were sitting at the bar of Great American Pub Conshy and said "you know, we'd be perfect together." Rightfully so, he turned me down. Staying faithful to his girlfriend as their relationship slowly destructed. They ended in March. I slowly, not so slowly, inched my way in. Our company had a boondoggle in April in Arizona. I behaved! There were far too many married people having shenanigans on that trip. Too many eyes. But, by Memorial Day weekend 2018, we finally hung out, just the two of us. In trading the aux cord on our 45-minute-to-an-hour mid-distance relationship, "Bike Dream" came up over and over again. It feels like a million years ago, but it also feels like yesterday. I'm glad it was worth embarrassing myself and hitting on this man in December 2017.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

Much like Rostam still occasionally participates in the activities of his ex-band Vampire Weekend, Ryan's ex-girlfriend is now required to write for the blog. Please let her know as soon as possible.

Maeve said...

This is very sweet.