Prompt: "A song that lacks closure"
Selected by Brianna
"Carry That Weight"
The Beatles
Abbey Road, 1969
Closure is one of those things to me that I never realize how important it is until its not there. A song that never quite goes where you think it will before fading out or not watching a series' last episode (Shane's favorite pastime), these are the things that could drive a girl crazy.
I guess that's why the new year always feels important to me. In the days that lead to the big Eve, I find myself checking off resolutions and finding ways to tie things off in a neat and tidy bow. Unlike watching a show through until completion, however, life's a little more complicated.
Rarely do things have a clear ending nor are the goalposts visible. Getting closure on a full year of your life requires a little more finesse, wiggle room, or at least a good sense of self. This year, for example, I wanted to complete the The Dark Tower series; I'm still about a third of the way through the final installment, so finishing in the next 48 is unlikely, but I'll allow myself the grace of winter break which wraps up on the sixth this year instead.
There are other, more internal things to get closure on as the year closes, though. Things philosophical that are harder to grapple with: am I who I wanted to be going into the year 2025? Have I done all I could do and do it the way I wanted to?
As of December 30th, I'm not sure the answers are there for me yet. I think those are the kinds of questions and the kind of closure you don't really sense or understand until the years long behind you. In the meantime, I suppose that's what New Years resolutions are for.
1 comment:
Look, I'm speaking as a guy who has consciously ignored the entire final seasons of at least three prestige dramas in the five years... and even I think the idea of not watching the series finale is certifiably insane. Get Shane on the goddamn blog to defend his indefensible position on this.
Post a Comment