Monday, January 1, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 1: Sunny

Prompt: "A song about starting over"

Selected by Sunny


"Starting Over Again"
Starting Over, 1995

You can see me at 0:03 holding the sign in the video there.

Reba is branded on me after Summer Challenge '22. Much like a tattoo one gets when they're young, as I get older, the meaning changes, but the Brand remains the same.

Beyond, of course, the critically acclaimed sitcom, Reba has a spot in my heart as one of the country singers who "breaks through" my inherent biases. I've made enough hay about this just through our RC '23 country albums. Reba is great because she has the prototypical country Presentation and Register, but often sings about atypical country topics and narratives. She'll sing from the perspective of challenged protagonists: women, children, world-weary men, etc. She'll create a whole critically acclaimed sitcom about a single mother just trying to make it, etc.

This rendition of "Starting Over Again" is elevated by my Queen of Country. Note her low timbre and register, the mild vibrato, and the incredible presence. Note the full string orchestra she brought to the party. Note the subject material of a couple who splits up after ~30 years in a low drama way. Not dead, not destroyed, but altered, and now in a vulnerable time trying to figure out how to start over in their lives. There's a relatability to this song even if you've never been in the situation, and Reba drives that nail home.

Of course one'll mention the other Queen of Country, Dolly, who has maybe a more famous rendering, another big country artist who inverts the genre for me. And of course writing credit to the Queen of Disco Donna Summer, with also a great version, but I came to this prompt Reba-first, so here we are.

Also Ran:
  • "I Will Buy You a New Life" — There's really only one Everclear song. Whether that to you is "AM Radio," "Santa Monica," "Father of Mine," or "I Will Buy You a New Life" depends on your radio station in the late '90s.
  • "Landslide" — I'm sure this will come back around again, by my hand or otherwise
P.S. Just since this is the first day, I will meta-reflect in that 180 days * 100 words = 18,000 words, or about the length of a short story. A novel's about 100K, which Nate Dogg did last summer, and was a personal inspiration. I am very eager to read everyone's short story / collection of mini-essays this year. It'll be far more refreshing than whatever else comes across my desk in the AM hours.

1 comment:

Joe K said...

For breakfast this morning, I had: egg whites, plain wheat toast, an assortment of fruit.