Monday, January 1, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 1: Maeve

Prompt: "A song about starting over"

Selected by Maeve


Curly McLain (played by Gordon MacRae)
Oklahoma! soundtrack, 1955


Guys, I missed this, didn't you? Let me tell you, I'm not going to say that everything has gone to shit since the end of the Summer Song Challenge, but I will say, this was the worst fall/winter of recent memory. Work, social and family, it's all bad. I've spent Q4 feeling really shitty. Like, cry yourself to sleep and then let it impact the whole next day shitty. I've always been an "always see the positive," "find the fun" type of girl, but without getting into detail (which trust me, is so hard, I've already deleted three paragraphs), I've really been knocked down a million pegs. Everything has compounded upon the next. It's all consuming and very easy to spiral. One minute, I could be thinking about what to wear to get drinks with my friends, and the next moment, I'll be spiraling into "Why should I even go, no one wants me there, I'll probably get ignored the whole time, everyone will be annoyed that I show up, etc." It's not great, and leaning in allows it to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I feel like my flame has been blown out, that I haven't been myself for months. Wow, depression, man. 

The point of this being that I'm really working on everything. It's not necessarily a New Year's resolution, but I'm really going to try and be a better person, have a better attitude and outlook, just overall, focusing on change. Sounds generic! But truly, this is the first time I've gone into a New Year focused with steps and tangible goals in mind, I'm just not going to list everything here. But this song, "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'," kicks off the musical Oklahoma! (do yourself a favor and watch the Hugh Jackman version on YouTube) and I think it's pretty applicable to the attitude I'm trying to have towards 2024. It's all about starting anew, kicking off each day with this positive outlook, and deciding on your own happiness. Let's do this.

No comments: