Wednesday, September 30, 2020

This Is My Blood: Love Your Park

 
This is the first Mainstay Brewing beer I've had since 1/1/20. That kind of put me in a looking-back sort of mood, and since today is the end of another quarter of 2020, it's time once again to give out some superlatives. We did this for Q1 and Q2, and now here is the best and worst beers of July, August, and September.

Biggest Surprise: Irish Whisky Cask (on July 9th)

I think I'm weary whenever I see the word "whisky" on the label. I cannot drink the brown liquor, and can't imagine it ever going well with beer. Thankfully, the boldness of this stout had very little to do with any notes of whisky, which were so subtle and did nothing to fuck up the beer in any noticeable way. And no, I didn't just enjoy this beer because I drank it in the shower.

Best Local Beer: Barracuda (on August 5th)

Hailing from West Philly's Dock Street Brewing, I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this Berliner Weiss—who knew a tart raspberry/hibiscus brew could be so refreshing on a beautiful day?

Best Not-Too-Expensive Beer: Clementine (on September 23rd)

The discount rack at IGA is the best part about my year in drinking, if I'm being honest. It's not an extensive selection, but man, paying $12 for a six-pack every once in a while is a blessing. And you can still find some winners! I bought this Clementine because of the name (which inspired some feline writing), but was glad to find that it was one of the better witbiers I've had this year.

Best Beer Based Solely on Context: Iron Maiden Trooper (on September 8th)

English Bitters are fucking great, and I savor it every time I have one (which is rare, for some reason), but the context for this one was even better. Not only did I get inspired to listen to some great music, but the literal context of splitting a beer with Pam at Penn Treaty Park while we hung out with the kids was pretty special.

Best Crushable Beer: The Crisp (on August 27th)

Maybe it was the thin-can design, but I can for some reason imagine drinking many of these beers over the course of a day.

Most Disappointing (Not the Beer's Fault): Five-Oh (on July 30th)

The disappointment here was a combination of a dirty tap system (giving the draught beer a slight buttery taste) and a sequencing mistake (I had three different beers at this dinner, and foolhardily went from most-hops to least-hops), neither of which was the beer's fault (but having a name that could act as a synonym for police during a summer in which they bashed the heads of any peaceful protestor who put a toe out of line doesn't help).

Most Disappointing (the Beer's Fault): Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier (on September 21st)
 
I wanted to believe that a beer actually served at the world's largest beer festival was going to be full-flavored and satisfying. This marzen was instead thin, colorless, and a bit stinky. Not that I wouldn't drink twelve of these in Germany if given the chance, and not that it would necessary taste this disappointing were I to drink it right from the brewer's tap, but still, big bummer.
 
Best Pairing: Freshies (on August 18th)
 
It's official—pale ales and burgers are a good pairing. Especially when the hamburgers are homemade (which was a first for me).
 
Worst Beer: Natural Bohemian (on July 21st)
 
I don't relish the fact that I'll never like this classic cheap beer, but what's true is true.
 
Best Beer (Joke Edition): Hurricane (on August 20th)
 
This beer is not as bad as you think you remember it being! It's never too late in life to drink Hurricane! I swear!
 
Best Beer (Serious Edition): The Shape of Hops to Come (on August 12th)

Surprised that an IPA is the winner of this category? Me too. But when something is this good, I'll swallow my dignity and admit it. My appreciation for The Shape of Hops to Come has a lot to do with my likewise appreciation for bitterness, and my disdain for haziness. This is crisp and clear and has one hell of a fucking bite. If that sounds appealing to you, then this is your beer.

NOTES

BEER: Love Your Park

STYLE: American Pale Ale

ABV: 5.0%

BREWED BY: Mainstay Independent

LOCATION: Philly (on Delaware Ave. in the building where Yards used to be)

PURCHASED AT: Bottle Bar East

PAIRED WITH: Detroit-style square pizza from Circles and Squares—fucking incredible, and absolutely worth the price

GRADE: 3 pukes out of 5
 
BEER COUNT: 368.5

No comments: