Wednesday, September 2, 2020

This Is My Blood: Arrogant Bastard Ale


No one said selling a house and buying a house would be easy, but I still underestimated how much of a pain in the ass the whole process is. A flurry of calls and emails from realtors and credit union processors and wives, everyone assuming I know what I'm doing when I have no clue, and everyone assuming that I really do want to spend a large amount of money to make my life more uncomfortable. I would've been happy to spend today listening to indie rock, browsing the internet, maybe taking a little nap. Instead, I left work with a very severe headache, an empty wallet, and an empty stomach, with a hankering for the only thing that could possibly salve my pounding brain—beer.

Yes, we turn to beer in times like these. Since strangers were combing through my personal belongings at home (and leaving unflattering feedback on the ShowingTime app), I had to stick around the city for a couple more hours, so I posted up at my favorite Foodery barrel and sat in the rain with the most cost-effecting strong beer I could find on the shelves.

Arrogant Bastard Ale is a beer that I've heard of, and one that I have always considered to be a great example of how the art of craft beer is absolutely marketed toward males (consider it the polar opposite of something like Skinnygirl Moscato White). I wasn't arrogant today, I was humbled, so this isn't one of those times where I try to thematically link my personality to the beer I'm drinking. I don't give a shit who else is drinking a beer called Arrogant Bastard Ale or why. I just saw the ABV at 7.5% and the reasonable price tag and figured, what the hell, let's get two.

Beer Advocate lists Arrogant Bastard as a "strong ale," but that's more of a catchall term for any beer of this strength. I'd argue that it's more of an imperial amber ale, with notes of burnt caramel competing with plenty of hops. It was dark and thick. I drank it right out of the sweaty can. I crushed those motherfuckers.

Two ales and one buffalo chicken sandwich later, and I'm feeling pretty fucking great. Honestly, who needs to buy a new home? I could live here forever.

NOTES

BEER: Arrogant Bastard Ale

GENRE: American Strong Ale

ABV: 7.5%

BREWED BY: Arrogant Consortia

LOCATION: Escondido, California

PURCHASED AT: The beloved Foodery Rittenhouse

PAIRED WITH: buffalo chicken sandwich

GRADE: 3.5 pukes out of 5

BEER COUNT: 343 (After a solo dinner, I took the El to Fishtown, and met up with Casey. We had a quick happy hour on a construction barrier outside the beer distributor on York St. I drank a beer, of course, but I didn't think it was necessary to drink another new beer, so I stuck with an old favorite: Two Hearted Ale, mainly because it was cheap and extra tall.)

No comments: