You know, I tried metal in high school. I hung out with sk8er bois and quasi-goths/hardcore kids and I wanted to be *~cool~* I can't say I ever liked metal, or "got" it. TBH, I still don't. To be fair I was of the "ewww country" mindset for a long time and then Kacey Musgraves came along and blew that up for me. The Chicks Gaslighter? JUST PUT A COWBOY HAT ON MY HEAD ALREADY. Turns out I just didn't like honey-tonk.
I was suuuuuper into emo and pop-punk in my youth. I thought that shit was melodramatic, but let's talk about "I will bury your bones inside my garden / Underneath your eyes can't burn through me anymore." LOL OKAYYY.
Though I will say, this album did have some pleasant surprises. Track 1, around 3:30... is that the sound of joy exploding from this song? It's bombastic and ecstatic like Coheed or tee hee hee DARE I SAY the Darkness!? I also take it that "SHOCK ME!" has a lot of singalong moshpit energy happening.
Perhaps my younger self could have found this album to be a bit of a gateway into metal or heavy rock. But for where my head and heart are at right now, as a 33-year-old who is just so tired all the time, so sad about the state of the world, it's just not for me at this moment. Since we can't safely mosh out our feelings, I need lighter listens.

No comments:
Post a Comment