Thursday, September 3, 2020

This Is My Blood: Powder Dreams / Harp Lager


Tonight, I finally completed another Your Favorite Movie interview, after a five-month-plus hiatus. Stupid pandemic. You'll get the full transcript of my interview with Sam about Sleuth when I get around to transcribing all THREE HOURS of the discussion. Until then, here's a break from 0:44:17 to 0:53:26, when we talked about today's beer of the day.

Sam: This is good. I like this.

Joe: Yeah, let's pause the interview. Tell me about... what are your thoughts or reactions to this beer? This will be a very easy blog post about Powder Dreams. Sam Fran gives his take on Powder Dreams.

Sam: I feel like I'm pretty out on IPAs. Like, I'm not gonna buy an IPA.

Joe: Yeah.

Sam: But picking this up after not having an IPA in a while, it's like, "Oh yeah, IPAs are pretty good!"

Joe: What about IPAs do you like?

Sam: I like the distinct bitter flavor. That there are... well, what I don't like, I can tell you more. I don't like notes of citrus, or bullshit like that.

Joe: Which is a lot of American IPAs.

Sam: And my buddy Pat told me, you can just throw shit in there, and it can be... IPAs are fairly easy to make. To find a good lager, or pilsner, is interesting to me. I like a more... I want a beer I can crush.

Joe: Absolutely.

Sam: And I can't crush IPAs,

Joe: No. It destroys your tongue.

Sam: And you and I have the same problem, that we drink beers at the same speed no matter what they are. So... yeah, that's a problem. I would do that to this beer, because I really like this! It's really tasty.

Joe: Good. To Pat's point, [looking at label] look at all this shit. "Dry-hopped with galaxy hops, and mosaic lupulin powder"? They're just throwing all kinds of plants in this shit. And on top of that, it's a hazy IPA, so it's unfiltered. So it has—to me, anyway—it has a weird aftertaste, than a crisp West Coast IPA.

Sam: Maybe—and I'm not going off this as an intellectual exercise as much as you are—when I first drank this, I was like, "oh, 'hazy IPA,' maybe I like this better? I'm liking the way it's tasting." Or is that a product of me not really having IPAs?

Joe: No, I mean... you would be in the majority if you felt that way.

Sam: People like hazy IPAs?

Joe: Yeah, that's a thing. What I'm finding, anyway. You go into a six-pack store, 70% of the IPAs you see are going to be hazy IPAs.

Sam: If I was to drink this, if I was like "Oh, I want to buy this," it would come down to how much it cost, though.

Joe: Sure, absolutely.

Sam: How much did this cost?

Joe: I actually got this as a gift from our neighbors.

Sam: To buy a six-pack, and spend more than... well, this is a four-pack too. It's like, what are you doing?

Joe: I don't know where they got it. It's a brewery I've never heard of, Captain Lawrence? I didn't do any research.

Sam: What do you think you should pay for a six-pack?

Joe: Like, in a year where I'm just drinking beer laissez faire, as opposed to—

Sam: Yeah, like we're going to... what's a good scenario where you'd buy a six-pack? You're just going over someone's house to watch the Phillies.

Joe: And I'm purposefully drinking craft beer?

Sam: Yeah.

Joe: Or am I drinking a six-pack of PBR pounders?

Sam: You're not doing that.

Joe: Okay.

Sam: Because we know what that costs.

Joe: So, like, Philly Brewing Company pounders of pale ale or something.

Sam: Yeah.

Joe: ...Fourteen dollars?

Sam: Right? But it shouldn't cost that. It should cost like twelve bucks. A nicer beer should cost fourteen dollars.

Joe: Yeah, I mean... it sucks buying a $14 six-pack, because before this year, I was buying $15 30-packs, right? Of Hamm's? So to buy six beers at the same price, it hurts me. It still hurts me! We're in September and it still fucking hurts me.

Sam: I've gotten over the hump where I can't really buy Hamm's, PBR...

Joe: Can't buy it or can't drink it?

Sam: Can't drink it. I get a headache. I could drink a Bud Light.

Joe: So you just can't drink the ultra-cheap.

Sam: Right.

Joe: See, I don't want to lose that part of myself.

Sam: I mean, I'll definitely do it. In a scenario that warrants it. And I'm ready to go to a bachelor party, guys!

Joe: Dwyer, c'mon man!

Sam: I'm ready to just go to a house and hang out. Not this house.

Joe: Would you guys be going to the Poconos if the pregnancy wasn't happening? Like, okay, say COVID was still happening, but Hannah was not pregnant.

Sam: I mean, that's the question about everything. I take COVID so seriously because she's pregnant. And she's been pregnant the entire time during COVID. I don't know. To be with that many people in an enclosed space, I don't know. I did not go on vacation with my family this year, but, ya know... Hannah is pregnant. People from out of town? I don't know. It seems like that's what happening with schools, right? If everyone got a COVID test, I guess? But even that has a lot of pitfalls to it.

Joe: We are still doing the La Salle Poconos trips.

Sam: I've heard.

Joe: Eight of us. Hopefully... no one shows up positive.

Sam: Eight's not... I guess I'm thinking of it as 25 people.

Joe: It would've been more... people said they weren't coming because of COVID... we're getting off track. Thank you for the beer talk.

Sam: I like it.

Joe: Zero to five pukes?

Sam: I feel like for beers, "pukes" is a bad rating scale.

Joe: [laughter] Yes.

Sam: 3.5? And I'm saying that positively. I am a person where I feel like if I give a movie a 7, that's pretty good. Nah... it's not that good. If I a movie an 8, that's pretty good. 3.5 out of 5 is good.

Joe: I'd go with 2.5. I just... something about hazy beers.

Sam: You're versed. You know the spectrum of hazies.

Joe: It's just a matter of knowing what you like and what you don't like, personally. I've had enough hazies that I know personally that I don't like them. Obviously, I'll still drink them.

Sam: And it's a nice present for someone.

Joe: Yes!

Sam: They got you these knowing you're doing the beer thing?

Joe: No. Two months ago, when Willow and Martha were being real fucking crazy going to bed—we were trying to sleep-train Martha, but Willow ended up being the bad one during that time period. We gave them a six-pack as a sorry gift, because their windows are right next to ours. "Here's a six-pack"—we made Willow give them the six-pack as an apology. And then a couple weeks ago we held onto a package for them, and I guess it was half for that, and half to repay for the apology gift.

Sam: That's a nice neighborly thing to do.

Joe: I can imagine it would be a pain in the ass to live next to bloody-murder screaming. Like, Jack Tar puppet screaming. To get back to Sleuth...

NOTES (Beer #1)

BEER: Powder Dreams

GENRE: New England IPA

ABV: 7.5%

BREWED BY: Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

LOCATION: Elmsford, New York

PURCHASED AT: A gift from neighbors

PAIRED WITH: a rainy night on a dry porch

GRADE: 2.5 pukes out of 5


Shit! I forgot to talk about Harp Lager, a beer that Hannah and Sam gifted to me for this project. I should've saved it for a separate day (and thus separate beer blog post), but I'm a stupid drunk and I drank it during the Sleuth interview. I have nothing to say about it except that it tasted like Lionshead. Maybe I will write about it next time I have a Guinness product.


NOTES (Beer #2)

BEER: Harp

GENRE: European Pale Lager

ABV: 5.0%

BREWED BY: Guinness Ltd.

LOCATION: Dublin, Ireland

PURCHASED AT: A gift from Maggie

PAIRED WITH: scintillating Sleuth conversations

GRADE: 2.5 pukes out of 5

BEER COUNT: 348 (Also had a LightSky, because I'm just grabbing random shit out of my fridge at this point.)

No comments: