Twelve seconds into "Morningstar," or one line into "Try to Disappear," and I think, yeah, this is metal. Another genre I have little ability to parse. I hear a "metal voice" and a "metal riff" and have a hard time finding shades within. My TV addled mind just snaps to frenetic tear down scenes and gets stuck.
And yet I have this endearment for metalheads. I think back to a friend who I walked in on listening to his favorite band (Slayer) while doing his secret favorite hobby (knitting). Endearing. I think to Baroness nearly dying—being physically and economically devastated—and coming back for more, for their work, for their audience (though that seems kinda metal?). Endearing. I think to Baizley spending hundreds of hours on album art that captures your eyeline (it's got a lot going on). Endearing. I'm sure the last thing any of these people want is my endearment, and yet.
Maybe a crash course? Google brings up an MIT (??) metal primer and of course there are the historical texts, but I still feel like I don't "get" it.
Boy I've digressed. What am I even talking about? Am I in fugue? Nono, it's "Fugue" into the excellent "Chlorine & Wine" that's clarifying. Something about that 2:34 forms connective tissue and C&W's progression and lyrics land. By the time we get to "The Iron Bell," I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying myself. Did they boil the frog? Sure the back half is softer ("If I Have to Wake Up (Would You Stop the Rain?)"), but it's more than that. "Morningstar" or "Shock Me" make more sense after finishing the album.
I see what ol' Nate Dogg meant by approachable metal—Baroness made something that a pleb like me can have a nice time with while (seemingly) pleasing the real fans. I doubt I'll go look for more, but there's enough here with enough earnestness for recognition. It's got a lot going on.

1 comment:
LOLZ. I had a line written about how impossible I find it to discern between metal bands and songs but then took it out because it seemed to HARSHHHH. Glad I am not alone in that feeling.
Post a Comment