Something that this record really makes clear: the best part of the Ghostbusters theme song is the bridge.
It's the part where the "I ain't afraid of no ghost" lives in the normal song, or if you prefer, the part in "Ghost Buster" where you find out that there is a rat man in the basement and you call the cops, but they don't show up so you call the ghostbusters instead, oh no, it's murder. Something about that little run of double-up notes that develops into a five-note run then harmonizes with itself really satisfies every time you hear it, regardless of the key, pitch, or even speed (though "Ghost-Boster" really puts that to the test, as does "Ghustbuster").
Something else this record really makes clear: Police are just not equipped to respond to all the problems that plague modern living, problems that include but are not limited to: ghosts getting into your food, rat men living in your basement, dealing with addiction to ghost drugs (or, if not that, certainly drugs that have ghosts in them), and, of course, your skeleton coming out.
Look brother, if you want to call this outsider art, I won't disagree with you, but I think the real way to understand this, both on a song-by-song level and on a project-wide level, is as a spiritual compatriot to the gen 1 Adult Swim shows that made stoned people and high school students laugh their asses off at 11:35 in the night every couple of days. This is Brak-core, and if it doesn't hit every single moment, its cumulative impact is a positive one.
Couple of really stupid things that cracked me up: "This is the last time I go to McDonkey's," "eBay.gov," "they tell me 'why are you calling me about this?'," "I want spooky spaghetti," "my name is Ghost Johnson, and I play drums so good that I bring back the dead."

No comments:
Post a Comment