Sunday, October 26, 2025

Album of the Week: Super Ghostbusters

When someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I usually freeze like a deer in the headlights. I usually say something along the lines of "indie rock," even though the term is at once too broad and too narrow. I also don't want to describe it as "I'll listen to anything," because that phrase is usually deployed by people who listen to free-tier Pandora radio on a consistent basis and don't give a shit about music beyond the background noise it provides. "I listen to everything" hits closer to the truth, but feels like it lacks humility in some way. My default answer lately has been something like this: "I grew up on indie rock, specifically a lot of mid-aughts blog rock during my formative years. But I have also explored a lot of music through this thing called Record Club..."

That sentiment remains true, even during the weeks where we listen to something that I don't like, or ends up being not for me, or something along those lines. There's still value in that. I'm not changing my musical tastes every week, but I'm also open to the possibility, much like the rat food critic, that good music can come from anywhere. If we listen to an album that I hate, at least I can say that I gave it a shot, and that maybe it even added something to my life in a positive way, adjacent to the music itself. You never know.

All that being said, I really can't see this week achieving much beyond inspiring some funny blog posts.

Record Club:

WEEK 352 — October 26-November 1, 2025


Super Ghostbusters
by Vargskelethor

LISTEN:

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY JOE

JOE'S COMMENTS: My bad! My hope is that maybe you'll have a good time writing the review at least! Happy Halloween, everybody!

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: Musical comedy, MIDI music, musical parody, novelty, spoken word, sketch comedy, synth funk, rock, Halloween music, Minneapolis Sound, Zolo

RELEASED: November 20, 2018

LENGTH: 20:42

TRACKLIST NOTE: The original version of this album had 24 tracks. There's nothing I can do about Spotify adding twelve more. Listen at your own peril.

TRACKLIST:
  1. Ghostbusters
  2. Ghost Buster
  3. Ghostbusterz
  4. Ghost-Boster
  5. Ghastbistin
  6. Ghostbusterss
  7. Ghustbusters
  8. Gostbostr
  9. Ghostabusta
  10. Ghooooostbuster
  11. Ghostingbust
  12. Ghostbatista
  13. Gheestobesto
  14. Ghastbasters
  15. Ghestbest
  16. Ghosttbusters
  17. Ghost Bast
  18. Ghoostbuusters
  19. Ghosterboster
  20. Ghstbstrs
  21. Ghost Bus-Ters
  22. Ghost Boston
  23. Ghostboster
  24. Ghost Bologna
LYRICS: if you really need this (and god help you), then you can watch along on YouTube, which has subtitles

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: he/him/his

ABOUT: This one is for all those who aren't chronically online. There is a streaming group (is that the right way to describe this?) called Vinesauce, I guess they stream videos on Twitch about video games, mostly? It started with one guy, Vinny, and then eventually he invited other people to stream with him, and it turned into a whole thing. Some guy named Joel was commenting all the time, so Vinny asked Joel if he wanted to become a streamer. Joel accepted, and now he does semi-real-Swedish-accented drunk streaming on Vinesauce, or Twitch, or whatever, I don't know. Joel makes music too. He goes by Vargskelethor. I think that's his musical moniker? Or maybe that's his Twitch name? I don't know. I really don't know. Apparently he lost his WiFi for a few days at one point in 2018 and decided to make an album using the "Ghostbusters" MIDI file. I read way too much about this guy on some overwritten fan-made wiki page, and most of the information is about "weird things that happened to Joel when he was six years old." I have literally never watched Twitch before, besides that AI-Seinfeld thing.

DISCOGRAPHY: I am counting nine albums. This is the fourth. There are two albums that have the words "sex" and "Minecraft" in them.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: Here's the aforementioned fandom wiki page, and it's really something

WATCHING SOME SHIT: Here's the official video for "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr., as a sort of amuse bouche for ya

RECORD CLUB CONNECTIONS: Literally the only Ghostbusters movie that is any good, and the only one that this blog acknowledges at all, is Ghostbusters [2016], a.k.a. the all-female reboot. Did you know that RC alumni Fall Out Boy and Missy Elliott teamed up to do their own version of Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" for that film? It's true. I'm also told that Ozzy Osbourne of Black Sabbath is in the movie, but if I'm being honest, I forget that part.

I shudder to think how many RC alumni have been featured on The Masked Singer. I won't do a deep dive here, but the show has been on our radar since Season 1's winner, T-Pain, announced a new album, and that album he announced in the wake of his win immediately became RC's album of that week. Anyways, Ray Parker Jr. was apparently on Season 8. So was George Clinton of Funkadelic.

I know Ray Parker Jr. isn't today's Record Club featured artist, but it's easier to find connections for him than some random-ass internet guy. Plus, Parker gets songwriting credit on Super Ghostbusters, since every song is technically a cover of "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr. What could I possibly connect with today's artist? That he is the second "Joel" after Good Charlotte's Joel Madden? Does that sound fun to you?

No, you know what sounds REALLY fun? The fact that the tall dude from Everybody Loves Raymond and his hot wife sang "Ghostbusters" for karaoke in the tenth episode of the first season of the American sitcome 'Til Death, and that episode, called "Daddy's Girl," also features a poster for Good Charlotte.


See? We could've gotten to that connection without considering Vargskelethor at all.

MENTIONS ON THE BLOG: Of course not, no, none. But let me ask you something here. Why is Joel on this list of background characters in Bluey? Is this for real? I don't understand why or how this could be real. I will remain skeptic until someone more online than I am can prove otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~

OTHER ALBUMS TO CHECK OUT

LAST WEEK'S ALBUM: The Silver Tongued Devil and I by Kris Kristofferson, and make sure to check out the reviews if you wanna see what we thought of it!

RC@5: We're relistening to the Record Club album we featured exactly five years ago this week. The RC album for this week in 2020 was Former Child Actor by Corey Feldman.

RC f/u: We're attempting to catch up on all the new albums from our esteemed Record Club alumni. Mini-reviews coming next Saturday, this week for Good Morning by Surfaces, And the Adjacent Possible by OK Go, OST by BIG|BRAVE, Oh What a Beautiful World by Willie Nelson, Lifetime by Erika de Casier, D R E A M S I C L E by Maren Morris, No Sign of Weakness by Burna Boy, The Cosmic Selector Vol. 1 by Lord Huron, Qualifying Miles by We Are Scientists, Willoughby Tucker, I'll Always Love You by Ethel Cain, UY Scuti by Young Thug, All Is Love and Pain in the Mouse Parade by Of Monsters and Men, and Everybody Scream by Florence + the Machine.

SHADOW RECORD CLUB: Each week, we're exploring the genres of last week's album. If there is a genre that has a #1-rated album that I've never heard before, I'll download it. If not, I'll just give you my best recommendation. Last week's The Silver Tongued Devil and I was a progressive country album. We're listening this week to Looks like Rain by Mickey Newbury. I've never heard it before.

NEXT WEEK'S RC ALBUM: In case you need some extra time with an album to write a review for it, you can get a head start on School Days by Stanley Clarke!

~~~~~~~~~

COUNTDOWN:
69 Weeks Until Week 420

We are tracking and counting down every week from here on out till Record Club Week 420. We started this countdown 69 weeks out. I am happy to announce that during Record Club Week 420, we will be covering Donny Most by the esteemed Happy Days virgin Donny Most. I am also happy to announce that Week 420 of Record Club will feature 69 reviews from 69 different people. 

THIS WEEK: We are 68 weeks away from Week 420.

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Notes from the Blue Jays loss to the Los Angeles Agents of Entropy in Game 2 of the World Series:

1 - The final score was 5-1, but the game was really over when the Jays couldn't capitalize on having runners on 1st and 3rd.

This is because Dodgers pitcher Yoshi Yamamoto was untouchable for the remainder of the nine (!!!) innings of ball he pitched. Yamamoto has five, potentially six, pitches he can reliably throw for strikes, which makes predicting which pitch a hitter is getting a much more difficuly affair. If batting against Blake Snell was flipping a coin, trying to get it in play against Yamamoto was like rolling a die. The Jays did what they could early, getting hits and pushing his pitch count up, but besides a mighty rip by Vlad Guerrero Jr in the 4th, the Blue Jays bats couldn't get going.

- On the other side of the coin, Jays pitcher Kevin Gaussman gave 6 and 1/3 productive innings, at one point retiring 12 batters without a hit before eventually giving up two solo home runs in the 7th to make the score 3-1 and more or less put the thing away.

- The Jonas Brothers played a concert to stand up against ... cancer, I guess? ... in the sixth inning. This was weird and annoying, especially since it happened before the seventh inning stretch, but I am perhaps too old to get worked up about marketing and advertising in our money-over-everything culture. Moving away from religion and replacing the belief in a communal good or higher power with belief in oneself and the generation of income was perhaps a mistake, but the mustard is already on the hot dog, you know?

- This was the kind of domination that those who picked the Dodgers to sweep likely predicted, and its tough to imagine how any team could overcome the kind of performance Yamamoto put on last night. For the Jays heading into LA on Monday, solace comes in the knowledge that Yoshi can only pitch one more time in this series. Next game is Monday, let's go Jay!

- Nate

Joe K said...

I would never and will never stifle the creativity of our writers here on Puke on Your Birthday, but I will say now that if a Super Ghostbusters reviews comes our way and it consists solely of thoughts about baseball, then I will consider that an act of COWARDICE.