Sunday, September 11, 2022

Album of the Week: With Love and Squalor

Never forget: 21 years ago today, on September 11, 2001, Nickelback's Silver Side Up was released. This is how you remind me of what I really am. This is how you remind me of what I really am.

Nickelback is not a Record Club artist (yet!!!), but if you wanna check out the music we've actually covered in Record Club so far, you can look at the archives. There are a couple playlists in there that I'm trying to keep up with. Oh, and the goals are available as well. We're in good shape still.

And with that, we turn to our newest Album of the Week. Please read below, and then listen, and then enjoy, and then write, and so on and so on.

WEEK 189 — September 11-17, 2022

What we're listening to this week (Kai's pick):


ALBUM:
With Love and Squalor
ARTIST: We Are Scientists

RELEASED: October 17, 2005 (in the UK, but it didn't make it to US shores until January 2006)

LOCATION: Berkeley, California

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: indie rock, post punk revival

WHY KAI PICKED IT: "I really enjoyed the album when I was younger, so it seems a good time to revisit it. They're a US band, but I think they were more popular in the UK, and as such hopefully it is a first time listen for some members of Record Club."

TRACKLIST:
  1. Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt
  2. This Scene Is Dead
  3. Inaction
  4. Can't Lose
  5. Callbacks
  6. Cash Cow
  7. It's a Hit
  8. The Great Escape
  9. Textbook
  10. Lousy Reputation
  11. Worth the Wait
  12. What's the Word
LENGTH: 36:55

WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube

READING SOME SHIT: You can read the J.D. Salinger short story that this album is named after if you want.

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: I was surprised to see Ariel Rechtshaid as the producer for this album. He seems like a big man on campus these days, no? It's weird, though, because I couldn't find a single direct connection to any Record Club album. Plenty of circling the wagon though: he's written or produced for two solo artists who are originally from a Record Club alumni band—BeyoncĂ© from Destiny's Child, Brandon Flowers from the Killers; he's written and produced for two RC alumni on albums released before or after the actual RC album—Adele's 25 and Valencia's We All Need a Reason to Believe; he's worked with Tobias Jesso Jr., who has himself written for Adele's 30 and Cautious Clay's Deadpan Love; he's written for Carly Rae Jepsen, and so has the guy from Marianas Trench; he wrote Plain White T's's #1 song "Hey There Delilah," and when that song was at the top of the charts, T-Pain was in the Top 20 for three different songs. (Plus, at #24, you guessed it... Nickelback. That's called a "callback" to a previous bit I made at the top of this post. And hey, We Are Scientists have a song on this album called "Callbacks.")

Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: