Mischief Brew is not your typical band. True to their uncompromising punk credentials, they are strictly DIY-or-die and release everything through independent labels, like the Dead Kennedys' own Alternative Tentacles, but mostly through their own indie label, Fistolo. This label was run by leadman Erik Petersen and his wife Denise Vertucci, and they took an unconventional approach to releasing Mischief Brew's music. LPs are mostly not simply the most recent project of the band, but instead a curation of music that could date from any time in Erik's music-making career. In my opinion, the finest such collection is Bacchanal 'n' Philadelphia, which is a very effective remaster of two earlier EPs. These releases are important because of how very obscure some of Mischief Brew's best work can be.
This record showcases some of Mischief Brew's cleanest work and most contemporary subject matters. Much of their catalog is highly influenced by the labor struggles of early 20th century America, hobo culture, and highly abstract anarchist ideals. Bacchanal 'n' Philadelphia, however, showcases a more 21st-century mindset, tackling things like corporate commercialization, gentrification, technology, and the police, in addition to the typical anti-authoritarianism fans had come to expect. Unfortunately, this album is lacking in some of the "Philadelphia-ness" that permeates other records, but that also makes it much more accessible to a wider audience.
I could go on and on about the depth I find in these tracks, but I will talk briefly about their lyricism. Tracks like "Dirty Pennies" are certainly beautiful but are somewhat an outlier in its strong narrative that follows from verse to verse. In my opinion, Mischief Brew is at its best when Erik sings a series of images that combine to create a feeling. "Liberty Unmasked" is a fantastic example of this. The poetry hardly follows line to line, but after two listens I don't just have the "vibe" (sorry Joe) of the song but some larger, more profound truth. There's a different kind of feeling when you don't know exactly what someone means, but you know that they mean it, and you know that you agree. That's the rare sort of feeling that sends a shiver down my spine and why I will always try to get the late, great Erik Peterson the appreciation I believe he deserves.
For those looking for more Mischief Brew, I recommend This is Not for Children. This album is harder-hitting and features loads of tunes that are made by and for Philadelphians ("City of Black Fridays," "Lancaster Avenue Blues," and "O' Pennsyltucky" if you don’t wanna listen to the whole album). As of a year ago, I heard that a bassist for the band is still bartending at Tattooed Mom on South Street.

No comments:
Post a Comment