Apparently, one time I overheard Joe listening to this exact album and I compared the lead singer's voice to that of a cartoon character (I know, good burn). I'll assume that reaction came from some deep-rooted jealousy that surfaces when Joe is drawn to indie band frontwomen with quirky voices (see: anything Joe has previously written on Frances Quinlan of Hop Along). Ok, so now that that's out of the way, I did really enjoy this album. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I'm comfortable saying that something "slaps," (I'd feel too much like Dr. Evil doing the "Macarena": "I'm hip!"), but Young Enough was honestly very enjoyable from start to finish.
We can talk about style, importance, or how much a particular album is appreciated, musically, but perhaps the highest praise I can give for a Record Club album is that I will honestly listen to it again. I've been consistently writing these weekly reviews for almost a full year now, and the list of Record Club albums that make it to my listening rotation after the week they are picked remains pretty limited (even including my own picks!). I think in recent Record Club history, I've only felt the same way about Amadou Balaké and Tyler Childers, and I really have continued to enjoy their albums. Based on how Young Enough has left me feeling this week, I think I can say with confidence that it will join the ranks of these two very cool, and all very different albums. I also caught our four-year-old singing "It's gonna break my heart to see it blown to bits" yesterday, and that felt like a real parenting win.

No comments:
Post a Comment