Although my musical tastes have begun, over the past few years, to lean more towards Americana and similar types of mainstream country-adjacent music, I still find myself surprised when I hear really good country music. It always feels as though I'm listening to a hidden gem. And I guess that's because I've only listened to the tip of the iceberg when it comes to good country, and everyone else in my life who listens to country prefers the more mainstream stuff. There is so much that goes along with the differences between those two pretty distinct types of country music—the music itself, the fan-base, and, oof, the politics. I've thought about it all week, but I will defer to more skilled writers (and those who write much longer, much more well-thought-out reviews) for that particular discussion.
On the surface, before listening to any lyrics, Purgatory sounds like it could be the backdrop to Frontierland in Disney World or featured as part of the Country Bear Jamboree. Appreciating it on a little deeper level, and taking one listen to the lyrics, makes it obvious that there are a little too many references to sniffing cocaine for this to be anywhere near Disney World (although I have heard that's also how those Disney dancers get their energy). But the lyrics definitely add a layer of darkness to an otherwise pleasant sound.
I don't know enough about the mechanics of the tight bluegrass sound featured on Purgatory to do it justice in praising it, but man did I enjoy this album. I've written this before, and the same rings true for Tyler Childers, but it is an absolute skill to make music that sounds effortless. And I think that is something that is so successfully achieved on Purgatory. When the music sounds effortless, it makes listening effortless as well.
It was nice that our homework this week was to be transported to Kentucky. I absolutely enjoyed everything about Purgatory, and I am genuinely excited to continue listening to Tyler Childers and to check out his other albums. Shoutout to Jeff for the introduction to Tyler Childers.

No comments:
Post a Comment