Friday, July 1, 2022

shvt vp and enjoy the weather, Sunny


When I hear "magic toaster," I too think of the Brave Little Toaster first. Probably true for any blank-toaster. That's great brand management folks.

As for Magic Toaster, the multiple tags for genre are correct. Yes, it's rock, thoroughly, but there's big variation between indie-alt-rock and punk-rock and trip-hop and psych rock. Take the difference between "blue night oberon" and "pong loser," for example. Or "you're gonna be fine" and "saturday night." The mix of album aesthetic, titling aesthetic, use of roman "v," etc. make me feel like this should tack more towards the trip-hop and spacey mode of play. Nothing overstays its welcome, it's just that I'm not quite sure how to feel after the album as a whole. But that's just me. What really strikes out, though, is if you were to say "hey this is an Ann Arbor album," I'd say "oh yeah, of course."

No comments: