Sunday, December 5, 2021

Album of the Week: 30

My yearly reminder: Feel free to send in any Top Music of the Year lists (or Top Movies, or whatever) to Puke on Your Birthday. I will gladly publish it! And this year I will be extra thankful that you'll give me a day off from blogging!

Will this week's album make your list? Check it out below (after you do the usual playlist and archives check-in, of course). Thanks everybody!

WEEK 149 — December 5-11, 2021

What we're listening to this week (Rachel S.'s pick):


ALBUM:
30
ARTIST: Adele

RELEASED: November 19, 2021

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: Wikipedia says "pop, soul, and jazz," but c'mon, y'all know what Adele sounds like

WHY RACHEL PICKED IT: "Sorry to make you listen to a WOMAN sing about her FEELINGS." (This is after I said that Red (Taylor's Version) was not eligible.)

TRACKLIST:
  1. Strangers by Nature
  2. Easy on Me
  3. My Little Love
  4. Cry Your Heart Out
  5. Oh My God
  6. Can I Get It
  7. I Drink Wine
  8. All Night Parking
  9. Woman like Me
  10. Hold On
  11. To Be Loved
  12. Love Is a Game
LENGTH: 58:15
 
WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube
 
READING SOME SHIT: This might not be interesting to everyone, but I liked reading this firsthand perspective about how Adele (et al.) put the vinyl industry at a standstill. If you're looking for a more traditional feature on/with Adele, then it looks like Rolling Stone is the only publication who had access during this cycle.

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: Max Martin co-wrote and produced this album's "Can I Get It," so I figured I could get a few hits if I scrolled through this dude's massive production discography. He co-wrote "Time Machine" with Robyn for Body Talk (but not Body Talk, Pt. 1). He's co-written a few songs for lizard person Demi Lovato (but none on Tell Me You Love Me). That's it! Not as many as I would've assumed. But we can play this game with any producer, of which there are many on Adele's 30. Greg Kurstin? Credits with T-Pain and Halsey. We can play this game any time there is a pop album coming down the pike for Record Club. No.............. 
 
.....what I'm more interested in, I think, is how many of these albums that we've done in the past 149 weeks feature the artist's face, close-up, looking seriously. Who else is included in this exclusive club, besides Adele? Who looks way too serious on the cover of 30? Let's see: from off the top of my head, I'm thinking of lizard person Demi Lovato, Roy Blair, Johnny Nash, Connie Converse, Ashlee Simpson, Erika de Casier, Michael Kiwanuka, Kaytranada, Halsey, Tyler, the Creator, Robyn, Margaret Glaspy, Dua Lipa, Perfume Genius, Diana Ross, Jamila Woods, Corey Feldman, Shania Twain, John Campbell, Tina Turner, Snail Mail, and then kind of Maggie Rogers, CHAI (just kidding), Funkadelic (just kidding?), Danny Brown (barely), Alanis Morissette (I guess?), Fiona Apple (though she's obviously not trying to look serious), INXS (a couple of serious half-faces), Mongo Santamaria (though not his face), Missy Elliott (though we're close up on shoe more than face), Miley Cyrus (though discolored), Dolly Parton (though Christmas-colored), Kurt Vile (though not colored), Cam'ron (though purple colored), Nathaniel Rateliff (though off-center), Jetty Bones (though weirdly the same fucking focus as the Missy Elliott album, I've never noticed this before—it's more shoe than face!), Olivia Rodrigo (though bedazzled), Slipknot (no idea if this is a band member or a monster of some sort), Phish (some idea that this is Phish's landlord or something?), and Nick Lutsko (though he's in a mask).

JUST KIDDING, no fucking way all of that was off the top of my head. I went through all 149 album covers, and linked to the ones featuring a close-up of a serious artist's face. There were a lot more than I expected! I guess the point of all this is that Adele's cover art for 30 is dumb as shit, but you're gonna be a huge hypocrite if you make fun of it, because it seems like she's just doing what the majority of RC artists do with their cover art.

Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: