Friday, December 17, 2021

When Christmas Comes Around..., Sunny


Note: I was shocked (SHOCKED) that Rob Thomas wasn’t chosen this year. And by one vote? Wow. Rough stuff. I feel like I need to review both albums, but... it's been a tough week. Instead, I had some guy on the internet review one of them; I think he captured my voice pretty well. Both reviews presented below.

When Christmas Comes Around... by Kelly Clarkson

My G-d what is happening around here. I feel dropped in the uncanny valley. Was last year's Xmas album a high water mark? I hardly can remember a year ago. The reviews make it seem like... Jimmy Fallon took an OK-to-good thing and made it a bad-to-cringe thing, again.

Jimmy Fallon of the NBC network.

When's tracklist makes it seem like a typical Xmas album split—a mix of standards and holiday classics, plus some ~originals~ all under 40 minutes. Everyone's trying to be Bublé. Fine? Fine.

But then I hear the originals and wonder what this style of "Xmas diss track" is about. I have stared at the title "Christmas Isn't Canceled (Just You)" for several minutes. Little better are the big ~original~ songs featuring Chris Stapleton (of the stapletons?) and Arianne Grande (of the grandes). And then the covers are all sort of... baffling? I feel like "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" are easy shots, but the composition if baffling. It's kind of like karaoke.

Prowling around YouTube one can find When Christmas Comes Around..., which is the accompanying NBC TV special for the album. NBC Primetime TV Special? In 2021? Who is this for? And is the reason I feel aversion that this is *gasp* corporate pop? Hardly implying that RC hasn't reviewed plenty of corporate pop before (I'm sure you can find an epic rant in the archives here or there), but it's hard when the illusion pops. Oh well, sorry Kelly, not for me, but good on you for the daytime/nighttime TV career, kinda feels like a 30 Rock bit. 

Something About Christmas Time by Rob Thomas

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, it is factual that the Christmas time is probably the best time of the year. The movies, songs and the overall vibe is just heartwarming and fulfilling. To add more charm to this incredible time of the year, Rob Thomas accumulated one of the finest collections of Christmas themed songs into one album. This entire album is a ray of sunshine as it can put a smile on just about anyone's face. It consists of a collection of nine beautifully penned down songs "Small Town Christmas," "New Year’s Day," "Christmas Time," "That Spirit of Christmas," "A New York Christmas '21," "Save Some Christmas," "Santa Don't Come Here Anymore," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and "Doesn't Feel Like Christmas." It would be fitting to say that this whole album is a reflection of every possible feeling that one can feel during this magical time of the year. Rob Thomas has done an outstanding job with the lyrics and the vocals. Once you listen to these masterpieces, they would definitely be on your playlist this season!

No comments: