Monday, December 6, 2021

Song of the Week: "Le Freak"

All songs point to nowhere, or to the playlist.


"Le Freak"
Chic
from C'est Chic
1978

Years ago, we had "baby's first song" (which ended up being "Bamboo Bones" and "The Flinch" for my kids, respectively), but we've officially reached a new musical milestone. Willow has a certified first "favorite song," of her own choosing. She is familiar with the idea of having a "favorite," and is cognizant enough of the music she hears to be able to pick a favorite. That song is "Le Freak," which she refers to (understandly so) as "Freak Out Freak Out!"

I suppose it wouldn't surprise anyone that she became familiar with the song in the first place because of a Disney movie. Here's Ken trying out different outfits in Toy Story 3, soundtracked by "Le Freak":


But that's not why we're here. Honestly, it's just cool to know that my daughter has a favorite song, and that her favorite song is a legitimately good song. So good that I had no qualms about finally getting around to downloading a Chic album, and thus finally being able to play "Le Freak" from my iPod when requested, which happens a few times a week.

"Le Freak" is the second song on C'est Chic. The first is "Chic Cheer" (which, according to my wife—no musical slouch herself—was sampled in the '98 song "Love like This" by Faith Evans). So when I first downloaded the album, I put it on during dinner, and didn't tell Willow what it was. I swear to god, hearing "Chic Cheer," she goes, "This sounds like 'Freak Out'!" That, to me, tells me that she knows what the fuck she's talking about. She doesn't just like this song because of a goddamn Pixar scene; she likes this song and this band because she understands it sonically.

It's December, which is traditionally the best time in the year to really dig deep into the past and explore some of the classics, since no one is releasing much new music worth pouring over. So I'm getting into Chic, and I'm impressed—not only because of the music itself, but because of what and who inspired me to listen in the first place.

No comments: