submitted by Nate
Our boy loves a gimmick, which I say with an appreciation of how challenging it can be to generate the energy to write anything at any time, let alone to write something every goddamn day. Whatever it takes to get the gears turning.
Notice, however, that I say "appreciation," and not "affection." It will not surprise Joe when I say that many of his gambits are, for me, somewhere on the spectrum between "not to my personal taste" to "goddamn it, man, what the fuck is the matter with you." To that end, I cannot in good conscience call this a "Best of" or even a "Top Ten," because that would require me to do an internal emotional audit to determine why I intuitively like or dislike something, and I won't be doing that much thinking about it. Instead, consider this a numerated look back at the different ways Joe tried to keep the bedroom fresh, critically speaking, in 2021.
[Editor's note: I'm linking to the reviews because Nate made the mistake of not specifically saying that I shouldn't.]
10) Gliss Riffer: Joe Asks Himself Prompts
A useful practice for organizing one's thoughts in the pursuit of more articulate expression, used here as a "reporter's notebook" style review. Everyone should read The Interrogative Mood, I think.
9) Walk Through Fire: Joe Directs the End of a Sitcom About Families Growing Up
This Is Us, the Record Review.
8) Mandatory Fun: Joe Invents the Irony Machine
Telling on himself, also probably telling on me a little bit.
7) BOOK: Joe Writes a Book
Complete with many expository footnotes, CAN'T IMAGINE WHY. Little on the nose, but it... I almost said "it works," but I think my feelings are closer to "it occurred."
6) And It's Still Alright: Joe Fakes a Medical Document
Gotta admit, I like this one.
5) A Trick of the Trail: Joe Takes Drugs
I like this one, too.
4) Piecing It Together: Joe Writes a Very Long Meme
Pushing the form, both of record reviews and of memes, to their limits.
3) My Head Is an Animal: Joe says HEY
HEY!
2) Rumours: Joe Rescues a Gimmick He Had Previously Abandoned
Like I wouldn't catch that shit. Done in the name of charity, though, so it must be forgiven to a degree, but only to a degree.
1) We Are Not Your Kind: Joe Reveals Too Much
One of the most harrowing things I've read this year. This is what keeps the people coming back.
10) Gliss Riffer: Joe Asks Himself Prompts
A useful practice for organizing one's thoughts in the pursuit of more articulate expression, used here as a "reporter's notebook" style review. Everyone should read The Interrogative Mood, I think.
9) Walk Through Fire: Joe Directs the End of a Sitcom About Families Growing Up
This Is Us, the Record Review.
8) Mandatory Fun: Joe Invents the Irony Machine
Telling on himself, also probably telling on me a little bit.
7) BOOK: Joe Writes a Book
Complete with many expository footnotes, CAN'T IMAGINE WHY. Little on the nose, but it... I almost said "it works," but I think my feelings are closer to "it occurred."
6) And It's Still Alright: Joe Fakes a Medical Document
Gotta admit, I like this one.
5) A Trick of the Trail: Joe Takes Drugs
I like this one, too.
4) Piecing It Together: Joe Writes a Very Long Meme
Pushing the form, both of record reviews and of memes, to their limits.
3) My Head Is an Animal: Joe says HEY
HEY!
2) Rumours: Joe Rescues a Gimmick He Had Previously Abandoned
Like I wouldn't catch that shit. Done in the name of charity, though, so it must be forgiven to a degree, but only to a degree.
1) We Are Not Your Kind: Joe Reveals Too Much
One of the most harrowing things I've read this year. This is what keeps the people coming back.
1 comment:
Sometimes it is impossible to know where gimmick ends and earnest expression begins.
Post a Comment