Sunday, October 12, 2025

Album of the Week: Street Love

I'm always in this space pushing articles that I see that vibe with what Puke on Your Birthday is going for. Here's a good one from a substack that I hadn't read before. It's about how college radio is on the upswing. Why? Because the kids are saying "fuck the algorithm." The kids, in this case at least, are alright.

Continue below for your 350th album recommendation in as many weeks. Recommended by a PERSON, not a fucking ROBOT who was programmed by BLOOD-SUCKING CORPORATE SUITS WHO HATE MUSIC.

Record Club:

WEEK 350 — October 12-18, 2025


Street Love
by Lloyd

LISTEN:
Spotify | YouTube | Bandcamp | Apple

~~~~~~~~~~

PICKED BY BRIAN

BRIAN'S COMMENTS: "reason: I heard a LLOYD song walking home and who doesn't love LLOYD.

BACKUPS:

BRIAN ENO 
ANOTHER GREEN WORLD 
(1975)
reason: my name Brian :) someone told me I'd enjoy this and I listened to like 3 songs and realized I am devoid of original thought :)

AALIYAH
ONE IN A MILLION 
(1996)
reason: I heard an AALIYAH song walking home :)  "

~~~~~~~~~~

ALBUM DETAILS

GENRE: Contemporary R&B

RELEASED: March 13, 2007

LENGTH: 60:43

TRACKLIST:
  1. Lloyd (Intro)
  2. You (ft. Lil Wayne)
  3. Certified
  4. I Don't Mind
  5. Get It Shawty
  6. Incredible
  7. Valentine
  8. Hazel
  9. Player's Prayer
  10. Killing Me
  11. Take You Home
  12. What You Wanna Do
  13. Streetlove
  14. One for Me
  15. I Want You (Remix) (ft. André 3000 and Nas)
LYRICS: Genius.com

~~~~~~~~~~

ARTIST DETAILS

PRONOUNS: he/him/his

ABOUT: Lloyd Polite Jr. (known mononymously as Lloyd) was born January 3, 1986, in New Orleans, Lousiana (but grew up in Decatur, Georgia). He was originally part of a pre-teen group called N-Toon (Lloyd's is the only name on Wikipedia with a hyperlink). That disbanded in 2001, and he started a solo career, finding great commercial success through a series of hit singles. For this author, he is known for a feature in Young Money's song "BedRock." Lloyd made his acting debut in 2019. He has two children. He's still making music today.

DISCOGRAPHY: This is the second of five albums. The first was 2004's Southside. The most recent was 2018's Tru. He also released a non-album single, "All I Need," in 2021.

~~~~~~~~~~

ADDITIONAL INFO

READING SOME SHIT: 2016 feature in Vibe

WATCHING SOME SHIT: title track live in '08

RECORD CLUB CONNECTIONS: The story is analogous to Bobby Brown's, in that they started out in a boy band and then broke out to find more success as a solo artist.

This is Lil Wayne's fourth official appearance on a Record Club album, after Tell Me You Love Me, Thats What They All Say, and 1UP (not Honest, as previously reported, since his feature there is on a bonus track, but even so, four appearances still stands as the record so far!).

André 3000 makes his second vocal appearance after the OutKast album, and a few weeks after OutKast showed up in cover-song form.

This is our fourth street! There was also Lake Street Dive, Before These Crowded Streets, and Street Worms.


Oh, and let's get a list of other solo RC artists that have had mononymous names: strip club enthusiast Lizzo, Hozier, Kaytranada, Halsey, Robyn, Cam'ron, Mika, Adele, Future, CANDIACE, K'naan, Nakhane, RuPaul, JVKE, Mitski, Beck, the infamous TikTok star known as Famoe, Pamela, Joe, WILLOW, SOPHIE, the artist that shall not be named, and Doechii.

MENTIONS ON THE BLOG: None, as far as I can tell. There were a lot of hits for "Lloyd," but 99% of them were in reference to Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything...

~~~~~~~~~~

OTHER ALBUMS TO CHECK OUT

LAST WEEK'S ALBUM: Luke's Garage by Delicate Steve, and make sure to check out the reviews if you wanna see what we thought of it!

RC@5: We're relistening to the Record Club album we featured exactly five years ago this week. The RC album for this week in 2020 was In Between Now and Then by O.A.R.

RC f/u: We're attempting to catch up on all the new albums from our esteemed Record Club alumni. Mini-reviews coming next Saturday, this week for Perfume Genius, Beirut, and the Black Keys.

SHADOW RECORD CLUB: Each week, we're exploring the genres of last week's album. If there is a genre that has a #1-rated album that I've never heard before, I'll download it. If not, I'll just give you my best recommendation. Last week's Luke's Garage was a garage rock album. We're listening this week to Is This It by the Strokes. I've heard it before!

NEXT WEEK'S RC ALBUM: In case you need some extra time with an album to write a review for it, you can get a head start on The Silver Tongued Devil and I by Kris Kristofferson!

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy listening, RC family!
Have a great week!

No comments: