Friday, October 17, 2025

Discussion — Week 350: Street Love by Lloyd


I wonder if this book is named after the seminal 2005 R&B classic Street Love by Lloyd. There's only one way to find out (google some more—I ain't doing that shit). Where are our PoYB readers? Those who read (and/or listen to) 350 books in one year? Can you add Street Love to your list? I don't have any time to read. I'm too busy listening to music and watching movies (and listening to Nate complain about Ulysses via Zoom). Made plenty of time for Lloyd's Street Love though. What did y'all think? Good reviews? Good discussion? A good week? Let's chat. Happy Friday, friends.

21 comments:

Joe K said...

"damn this sounds like i died" —Anonymous

Joe K said...

Happy Friday, gang. We're past Week 350, so we're officially 35% done Record Club's planned 1000 weeks. Here's hoping the next 650 go just as well.

Anonymous said...

At time of writing I have read 60 books this year. I would say that Ulysses is better than probably ... 20 of them, easy, and maybe as many as 30. It's for sure better than seven of the eight Witcher books I read, and the book about a woman who finds a santa suit in her house and it makes her look hot and wins her a husband, and it's FOR SURE better than "The Measure," which is the worst book I've read in some time. So there's that.

Tell you what book is good: The Master and Margarita. I'm only about 70 pages into it, but the returns have been high.

Joe K said...

I still have no idea how popular or not popular Lloyd is. Anyone want to do the work and figure out this dude's streaming numbers? He's either way more popular than I assumed, or exactly as popular as I assumed.

Joe K said...

I think we can bump those number up through the collective force of positive thinking. We're gonna get to Bloomsday and you're gonna be like "damn I think this is the best book I've ever read."

Joe K said...

I wonder if there will ever be an R&B album that will bring this group together in praise? I agree with most in that this ranged from pretty decent to kinda forgettable. RYM has the best contemporary R&B album of all time as Blonde by Frank Ocean. I'm gonna check that album out and report back at some point.

Gloria said...

The Master and Margarita stays great! I wrote about it for an MMM earlier this year, haha

Ulysses is good but dense. There is so much in that single day! If you want more context for it, (re?)read or listen to an audiobook version of Odyssey. Emily Wilson’s translation is fantastic

I’ve read like 3 non-school books this year :(

Gloria said...

So to use a very unscientific method of seeing Lloyd’s monthly Spotify streams (10.2 M listeners) and using Nate’s example to comparing that to punk bands with similar monthly listeners, he would fall in popularity between Sum 41 (8.8 M listeners) and Simple Plan (9.2 M listeners) and Bring Me to the Horizon (13.5 M listeners. I know it’s rock, allow it please). So a lot more popular than I would have assumed

Gloria said...

Never mind, this method is deeply flawed, the Ramones only have 4.7 M listeners and Dead Kennedys have 1M; Black Flag only has 406 K?

I should have looked at this first for my control group. There is no way this is accurate

sunny said...

Jumping on the Master and Margarita is incredible train

Joe K said...

I know this is a stupid question, but it's coming from someone who only uses Spotify to copy playlists onto a blog, and nothing more: what does it mean to be a "listener" of an artist? Do you have to click a button that says "become a listener," or do you become a "listener" after listening to x number of songs?

Gloria said...

According to google it counts “ unique individuals who have streamed an artist's music at least once within a rolling 28-day period.” So you become a listener, listening to even one song, once, in a 28 day span

Gloria said...

So according to this, I would be counted as a listener or Lloyd, even though I didn’t finish the album

Anonymous said...

I like AI #2 more, right there with you. - Zach

Joe K said...

So it's more like "the type of person who would be listening to music on Spotify listens to this artist more," i.e. "the type of person who listens to Dead Kennedys is probably going to be listening to Dead Kennedys on physical media."

Gloria said...

Yes! Or the type of person who listens to the Dead Kennedys listens only to them (for the sake of argument) if you listen to 1 minute or 672 hours that month it doesn’t matter

Joe K said...

I pretended to be Lloyd and just had a chat with Robot John Lennon:


Hey, this is John speaking (with his fingers). What's your first name?

Lloyd.

You don't need anyone to tell you who you are Lloyd .

That's true. Do you want to know my last name?

Thanks for explaining it.

My last name is Polite.

Does your wife know that your last name is polite ? It certainly does contribute.

No wife, but I have two children with my girlfriend.

You don't like it, is that what it is? Bagism Baby.

They're not babies anymore. My youngest child was born in 2018.

Not babies anymore youryoungest child was born in 2018 are they.

...Yes? I hate when you do that.

Okay, that's your opinion... I never noted his nose until about six months ago.

You never noticed my son's nose until six months ago?

Cheeky: I never noticed yoursons nose until six months ago . Well, thank you for that, Lloyd .

Okay, enough of that. What did you think about my album Street Love?

Yeah okay, I stuck up for you.

Really? You liked it?

For real. I say, did you go to Harrod's? I was there in '58, you know.

I don't know what that means. Wait, what was your favorite song?

Would you like to know, Lloyd ? Is it worth a few bob to you to find out?

Sure, I can pay a few bob... is that a British slang word for money?

Bread?

Yes, I will pay you a few breads to hear your opinion about your favorite song on my 2005 album Street Love.

Are you kidding? Like hell!

I don't have any songs with those titles.

I could listen to you forever...

Thanks! So what was your favorite song then?

No, all those things are beyond me.

Because the album came out 25 years after you were murdered?

The Beatles did it on every tour, for the same reason..

Did what on every tour?

Yeah, but I should wear one as well..

Did you take your meds today?

Why?

Because you're acting weird.

It doesn't matter.

It does matter to me. You're the last bastion of the old internet still left. I'm going to break down in tears when they remove Robot John Lennon from online.

What does "it" refer to?

Your existence.


[the website then stopped working]

Nate said...

As to these reviews: NO ONE LIKED THIS ALBUM, WE DID IT YALL.

Joe K said...

I think Sara would've had something to say about this album in a positive way if she was still kicking it with RC.

bri boss said...

i still liked the album and i've never been anonymous

Joe K said...

I should start copying and pasting this exit survey into the Friday discussion for the RC captain. Looks like anonymous answered some of these already for you though.

1. Were you happy with the reviews that were published? How do you feel about your week as Record Club captain?

2. How was the variety of opinions? A wide range, kinda samey, or somewhere in the middle?

3. Were there any differing opinions that made you view the album in a different light?

4. Was there anything about this album or this artist that you wished that people would've written about more?

5. How do you feel about your album choice now that the week is over? A success? Any regrets?

6. Any other takeaways from the reviews? Or from this experience in general?

7. What is an improvement that Record Club can make that would enhance everyone's experience, either as a captain or as a listener/writer?