Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Pontifications: The Pontification About Nothing

Walter shares his weekly thoughts, fears, and philosophies (or some bullshit like that).


Joe shared with me a hobbyist's AI-generated sitcom that can be watched on Twitch. I don't really have much context beyond what Joe has shared with me, but some more context may be helpful to understand better what's going on—I'm a bit lazy lately to do more research, so I'll just write with a lot of assumptions here (as any Pontification post is typically written). I previously wrote about the various stages of AI, and there is even more nuance within these stages than what I described, and maybe even more nuance than can be understood by the smartest humans on earth. Remember, humans love categorizing things, but as we get further along the AI journey, we may not be able to categorize all the things that we think AI experiences—a decent indicator we've actually reached ASI, of which I might argue we may have already reached, but have just started appropriating "it," just as we do for all things we desire, despise, or don't understand. True AI (I probably shouldn't use the term "AI," because it probably wouldn't be considered artificial at this point, would it?) will feel alien to us, unless we contain and control it, however we desire. However, why reduce AI to the same characteristics by which humans behave?

In a way, the Twitch show, which seems to mimic a Seinfeld framework, could be considered alien to us now. To assume that this is a sitcom show like Seinfeld is just my own internal machine categorizing and labeling based on intuition and what Joe told me. So let's remove the assumption that this is a Seinfeld-like sitcom. When we do this, what is left? I see and hear a myriad of things: pixels creating scenes of various nature, but mostly of indoor places; people, with humanoid figures, but little detail to their emotions or otherwise; conversations between these humanoid figures, of which are fragmented and are of high latency—basically incomprehensible, insensible discussions. But what I describe here is mere categorizations of what I observe. Could these beings be manifested by another being, behind the scenes? Maybe a ChatGPT? Is what I see on the screen the manifestation of various given parameters to abide by? Was this AI trained on Seinfeld content? Was the goal or objective function, driving what I see, trained from millions of Seinfeld movie frames? I'll never really know unless I peel back the layers of abstraction that underpin this content. Underpinning it all are electrons, flowing through trillions of stage gates in a data center somewhere.

Another thing is for sure, I feel little connection to the characters on the screen. They are alien to me, despite looking humanoid and speaking my language. However, if I spent infinite time with these "characters," would I begin to understand them better? To empathize? The problem is that the language is too disjointed for me to want to tune in indefinitely, likely because of the latency between various ChatGPTs making requests and responses to one another. Not to mention the voiceover is hard to connect with the actual characters. The pixelated faces, along with various camera shots/angles, make associating a voice with a character nearly impossible. Even when the camera is focused on a single character I am not sure if what I hear should be mapped to that character or another off-screen character. I assume whatever GPT is generating the voice-over is disconnected from the GPT orchestrating the pixels on the screen (I later rewatched the stream, and it turns out that I process the video and audio in a way that seems more cohesive the second time around—this just validates what I said earlier about spending more time to understand something). Even when I try hard to process the connection between what I see and hear, I am continuously distracted by the random pulse-movements of the humanoid figures! I watched one character, sitting on what looked like a couch, thrust, what looks like its hips, up and down. No mind was given to what was being spoken, because I was trying to figure out if this humanoid figure was intentionally thrusting itself back and forth or if there was some polygonal graphical collision bug occurring. As if this low resolution scene was actually a stimulus overload for me! What a paradoxical mind-fuck, much like these Pontification posts can be.

And so this experience with this Twitch channel has reminded me of something consequential. Generalized knowledge is really hard to describe, comprehend, and teach others without infinite time and resources to digest all the signals and noise coming at oneself. So, it's safe to nod our heads and call this "impressive," despite awareness of the noise and low resolution. I'll reiterate that I re-watched this stream, and found some of the content to actually be more coherent and funny. That is, it made me laugh, maybe because of the absurdity of it all.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

At one point—before I had the idea to defer to PoYB's AI expert—I attempted to transcribe the script of this "show." Here's what I got. I don't know the names of the characters, and I didn't proofread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You actually said something more absurd than swallowing a lightbulb

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry right now. The only thing worse would be Manfried explaining how breathing works

[scene change to diner]

Kelly, do you ever get the feeling that we're always here? I mean, just sitting here, chatting, talking about nothing.

Leo, you're losing me. We can't always be in the diner.

No, no, you're not hearing me. We meet at my apt. You're apt. This diner, and then, there's nowhere else. Any memory, just these places.

[laughter]

You're freaking me out... man. Maybe, like it's some sorta dream or something?

[laughter]

A dream? Haven't we woken up one morning feeling like we've been somewhere else?

No.

Do you remember, for example, you going to visit your parents?

[laughter]

Or even a beach day, or a quiet night in, reading a book? I don't remember any of that.

I don't remember either. Just us... our weird friend Manfried. This is insane, Leo. Right? Maybe we're in some kind of simulation?

Or this could be someone's cruel idea of entertainment?

Who would watch this?

[cut]

Time is illusory, don't you think?

We're in the world of comedy, not fantasy.

Speaking of magic, why don't witches wear underwear? To grip the broom better. Ha. Get it?

[microwave noises]

Kelly, did you log your joke somewhere only you have access to? Nick, your instigating behavior usually ends in chaos. So, what's on today's agenda?

You know, instead of chaos and disaster, we could start a colony in space.

Space is cold and empty like my refrigerator. No thanks.

A refrigerator in space. That's brilliant. Kelly. We'd corner the market.

I'm tempted to ask if this is an episode of my life or a sitcom.

As far as I remember, sitcoms at least made some sense.

Maybe the joke's on us, Leo. We're all characters in our own sitcoms. Yours just happens to have a very curious neighboring ensemble cast. Life is but a strange play where everyone knows their lines but us. And just as in any play, what matters is not what happens, but our reaction to it.

I've heard about space colonies collapsing within months, because they forgot how precious oxygen is. Can you imagine? The horror.

[microwave sounds]

Kamsky said...

Thanks for the transcription! Reading the dialogue reveals the depth of metaphors and visualization; I didn't need the characters to show me, I just needed more descriptive prose to digest! I recall some of this banter, and it really connects the words, like absurdity, by providing metaphors or things that one could react to in dramatic way! Like a sitcom.... For me, the visual of characters must have distracted me from the dialogue! What stuck with me that was most profound is:
"I'm tempted to ask if this is an episode of my life or a sitcom. As far as I remember, sitcoms at least made some sense"