Monday, June 2, 2025

Monday Morning Mixtape 022: Twins [1988] Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito

Welcome to Monday Morning Mixtape, a PoYB Contributor-curated playlist of songs, made just for you at the start of each week.


A long one today! Thanks for being here! Drop all the pairs of same-title songs you missed in the comments below!!!

"Twins [1988] Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito"
Pairs of songs that have the same exact title but don't sound anything like each other at all
chosen by Joe








"All I Know" by Pepper's Ghost
from Shake the Hand That Shook the World, 2005
[only available on YouTube! and only because I personally added it to YouTube myself!!]

"All I Know" by Art Garfunkel
from Angel Clare, 1973

It's a fucking injustice, is what it is. It's been mentioned before, on this very mixtape, how the great unheralded Pepper's Ghost album Shake the Hand That Shook the World has all but disappeared from the internet. It's a kick in the gut, to know that there was music that was important to me when I was a teen, and it will more than likely not be all that important to any other teens from here on out. I don't like it. We need to care for our music better, for the sake of future generations.

And oh, but of course Art fucking Garfunkel is still here. Motherfucker. Terrible music. Terrible song. But it's on every streaming platform. Just click a button, and bam, you get to pump some maudlin fucking bullshit from some afro'd dork right into yr fucking eardrums. Meanwhile, Pepper's Ghost is left dead in a ditch and covered over in gravel. A grave injustice.

I am here to do my part. Here is a folder with mp3 copies of every song on Shake the Hand That Shook the World. Do with it what you will.  —Joe


"All My Friends" by Counting Crows
from This Desert Life, 1999

"All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem
from Sound of Silver, 2007

Probably the most important thing to me in my life is my friends. There's nothing like catching up with someone who you shared a special connection with, and then years later you could effortlessly put that glove back on and feel the same way. I put friends above family in that I have many family members that I consider good friends. And I also have many good friends I consider family. But technically one can't be the other, while family can be friends. Maybe that's semantics. Either way, my chosen family of my friends is number one with a bullet in my heart. And whether the lame Counting Crows or ultra hip LCD Soundsystem croon about it, friends fucking rock.  —Sam


"Drive" by Carly Rae Jepsen
from Kiss (bonus track), 2012

"Drive" by the Gaslight Anthem
from Sink or Swim, 2007

My car rattles when I accelerate in a low gear. I didn't mention it when I got an oil change recently, but I figured it would be one of those things they called to up charge me on. But the mechanic overlooked it. Now, it's still clanging around, and my kids complain about it. I have an inspection in July, so I guess I'll raise it then. Until that point, I have a bit of a Schrödinger's cat of peril under my hood.  —Sam


"Gold Rush" by Lucius
from Lucius, 2025

"Gold Rush" by Stella Explorer
from Absolute Music 2/5, 2024

Sometime during the pandemic, I bought roller skates; it was trending on TikTok or Instagram, and I thought, why not? I loved roller skating as a kid. I only really stopped because my parents had us store our skates on the porch, and a huge spider moved into mine. I was horrified. My mom told me that that was a "kid problem," and that I could figure it out. I figured it out by just letting the spider keep my skates and focusing on other hobbies. When I bought these holographic peach-colored skates, I was healing that part of my inner child who still wanted to skate but had a healthy fear of spiders. I had visions of doing cool skating tricks and routines along the Schuylkill River trail. However, I used them only five or six times to go around my block and never got into it—maybe this summer? It's not like skates go bad. These songs both seem like they would be good to skate to.  —Gloria


"Horses" by Maggie Rogers
from Surrender, 2022

"Horses" by Jesse Welles
from Middle, 2025

I'm new to this. Maybe I shouldn't start out by trying to stretch the theme too much. With that said, I almost submitted "April She Will Come" for the songs with the word "May" mixtape. Not because I was being ironic, but because I just generally have a horrible time following instructions. So when I saw songs and "May," I immediately thought of this perfect two-and-a-half-minute song with the word "May" in it. But this is a moot point, because I missed that playlist boat. 

Anyway, for this week, I started looking through my favorite songs, and saw "Horses" by Maggie Rogers. And then I was like, wait, that new Jesse Welles song that I'm obsessed with is called "Horses" too. Do they sound completely different? Maybe not so different? Same XPN genre that reflects a lot of my liked songs. 

But they are about different things... Maggie Rogers is singing about breaking free, and Jesse Welles is singing about acceptance of others. I guess you could say both are about letting go of stories, the ones that hold us back from ourselves and the ones that hold us back from others. 

And then I couldn't help but also think of "Horses at Night" by Strand of Oaks. I adore the acoustic version. Can I add this as a third song that doesn't have exactly the same name but almost does?

I told you I'm not that good at following instructions. I'll let PoYB decide whether "Horses at Night" gets to make the mixtape too.  —Sarah Q.


"Hush" by the Marías
from CINEMA, 2021

"Hush" by Deep Purple
from Shades of Deep Purple, 1968

A notification appeared on my phone this week stating, "Loretta Swit, Iconic MASH actress, dies at 87," and my first thought was Hugh (Helen) Steeply's father's obsession with the show in Infinite Jest. And as his compulsion to watch the show grew, and he scribbled his fan theories on spiral-bound notebooks, so did his need for secrecy. I think I'm bringing this up because I know most of the blog has read IJ and I was trying to relate the idea of keeping things hidden and hushed to the song titles. Can secrecy be a method to maintain control within your world? Was it for Mr. Steeply? Or if you feel that way, have you already lost control?  —Gloria


"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the Beatles
from Abbey Road, 1969

"I Want You" by Bob Dylan
from Blonde on Blonde, 1966

Your phone is on the kitchen counter
Along with an open, unfinished bottle of Cabernet Franc 
Your clothes are on the living room floor 
The record you had on stopped playing music about twenty minutes ago
You hear its needle chatter 
Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk 
Like the third heartbeat in the room
To match both of yours
        —Gloria


"Modern Love" by David Bowie
from Let's Dance, 1983

"Modern Love" by Geva Alon
from The Wall of Sound, 2007

I think I would have cried real tears when David Bowie died if I had been born in 1969. Instead, his death was mostly just a curiosity to me, and "Changes" was a song performed at my high school graduation. "Modern Love" is a podcast instead of a song I know; a column in the New York Times.

What was modern love like in Biblical times? If it's true that the generations descend in every metric (less hungry, less passionate, less everything) as history unwinds, well, then, the immense strength of the sexual urges of people thousands of years ago would be completely foreign to us. Joseph resists and he goes to jail. Judah relents and he admits his wrongdoing. I doubt I'd ever write a Bible column for this blog.  —Zach


"My Song" by Labi Siffre
from Crying Laughing Loving Lying, 1972

"My Song" by Scarlett O'Connor, Avery Barkley, and Gunnar Scott (performed by Clare Bowen, Jonathan Jackson, and Sam Palladio, respectively)
from The Music of Nashville: Season 3, Volume 2, 2015

Twins is one of my husband's favorite movies, as he is a twin himself. So I came out of blogging hibernation to submit something. After all, summer is notoriously the blogging season. Labi Saiffre's "My Song" was played all summer 2023 as we prepared for little Elise to get here. The Nashville cast version is from a former 2012 version of myself who truly loved an ABC Drama. I think to the point that I will be getting back into scripted dramas from the big channels. Who's in on Doctor Odyssey or heading over to NBC for Chicago Wednesdays?  —Sara


"Old Salt" by Hazlett
from Goodbye to the Valley (Side B) EP, 2024

"Old Salt" by Amusement Parks on Fire
from An Archaea, 2021

Do we really believe that if we let monkeys type away endlessly, with an infinite number of tries, they'd eventually write War and Peace? It seems impossible. But it's probably true. I threw a pair of socks from outside to inside my parents' house last month and they both landed perfectly on the railing, with no intention to do so. I'll never do that again, no matter how hard I try. 

Soon I'll buy a jar of Trader Joe's Himalayan salt and keep it next to me for the rest of my life. Will it ever get old?  —Zach


"September" by Roy Blair
from Cat Heaven, 2017

"September" by Earth, Wind & Fire
from The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. 1, 1978

Chart my appreciation for the song "September" through my life and that shit is gonna look like a heart monitor in the cardiac arrest ward of the hospital. I didn't care for it, my high school pep band made me fond of it, overplaying it throughout my young adult years made me despise it, a cartoon movie about a robot and a dog made me think it was one of the greatest songs of all time, and now...

Look, it's cute as hell that my kids think of this as "my song." They know that I love that movie, and they know that the song reminds me of the movie that I love. But they play it too much. I hear "September" every day. And it makes me feel worse about my feelings in a self-reflective way because now it's always prefaced by cute children yelling "it's your song, Daddy!" And I have to play along like I still love this song. Even though it's grating on me. (The song, not the kids, who could never grate.)

Okay, but so what? What's the alternative? Am I really gonna destroy this for them? I would never do that. If they are appreciating the magic of music, the power of a good song, then I will protect that emotion with my fucking life. The alternative is that they grow up and they lose that feeling. That they become teenagers who don't give a fuck about music at all. Maybe that they grow up and think that some terrible song from some shit Post Malone wannabe hack is "good enough" for them. Maybe they'll find themselves tipsily grooving along to some of the worst music of all time at the Big Ass Stadium Tour, convincing themselves that this is art, that this is anything but the lowest common denominator of music.

I hate Post Malone and I hate his music. And so I hate Roy Blair by association. But I don't hate "September," and I don't hate Earth, Wind & Fire. I need to step back and remember that sometimes. That it's a good song and it's just looking a little worse for wear these days due to adorable overplaying. There's a huge fucking difference. And my kids will learn that in time, too. For now: play it one more time for Daddy.  —Joe


"Shake It Off" by Stiff Little Fingers
a single, 1983

"Shake It Off" by Hurry
from Guided Meditation, 2016

Shoutout to Hurry for being the only band with the fucking balls to release a song called "Shake It Off" after that dirty little gremlin took it off the table forever. Shoutout to Stiff Little Fingers for being the only punk band that the crustiest, most punk old lady I ever knew liked on my iPod when she scrolled through it, and for retroactively proving that there are way better songs under this moniker. Shoutout to Mariah Carey for shaking it off before that other chick was out of high school. Shoutout to Spoon, Wilco, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and Mandy Moore for doing their own no-doubt superior versions of "Shake It Off." Shoutout to all the other bands on this Wikipedia list whom I've never heard of, all of whom would CRUSH the shameless pop star, if only they didn't have names that sounds totally made up—Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise, Henry Threadgill, GoGoGo Airheart, Joseph Arthur & the Lonely Astronauts, Michael Martin Murphey, the Blow Monkeys. Shoutout to the best band to ever fucking do it. Shoutout to all the liars and stinky, stinky cheaters of the world who think that Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" is anything less than an embarrassing blotch on an otherwise mediocre career.  —Joe


"Show Me How" by Men I Trust
from Oncle Jazz, 2019

"Show Me How" by Foo Fighters ft. Violet Grohl
from But Here We Are, 2023

I was taking a walk today during a break between the rain, and saw some honeysuckles blooming. They were my grandfather's favorite flower. One of the coolest things is how you can always tell the time of year by the flowers—it's almost a better indicator than the weather. Soon, my dad's favorite flowers will appear along the Pennsylvania roadsides—simple, white daisies and black-eyed Susans. I remember one time when my mom went out huckleberry picking with her brother. She'd parked her car on the side of the road near a clearing where they could walk into the woods. My dad and I had been biking to the lake when we passed her car. He unlocked it with the spare key he had on him, and we filled her Chevy with daisies, cutting handfuls of them from the edge of the highway's shoulder with our pocketknives. Show me how to care and love someone that deeply, even after a lifetime together.  —Gloria


"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
from Led Zeppelin IV, 1971

"Stairway to Heaven" by Be Your Own Pet
from Be Your Own Pet, 2006

The difference is on purpose, of course. Everyone knows the Led Zeppelin song. No one knows the Be Your Own Pet song (but if I continue to choose a BYOP song for every single mixtape, maybe they will eventually). Jemina Pearl is basically saying "fuck you" to classic rock. It's taking the piss out of the song in a way that I'm not even sure that you could argue is ironic. It's not clear that Be Your Own Pet gives one shit about Led Zeppelin. There's no references to the iconic song anywhere in their "Stairway to Heaven"'s lyrics, just some hollering about peeing in an ear. 

If you scrolled through an iPod's song in alphabetical order ("if" is hypothetical, who the fuck has an iPod anymore), BYOP's song would arrive first. This was 2006, I gotta imagine that was on their mind when they picked a title. Maybe some bald uncle is scrolling through and accidentally picks the wrong song when he's trying to play one of the seven songs he's heard since high school. 

I don't even hate "Stairway to Heaven." It's a great song. But when I listen to "Stairway to Heaven" (2006), I start having intrusive thoughts about it. Like maybe I hate Led Zeppelin...? Then the song ends and the live version of "Stairway to Heaven" from How the West Was Won plays and I'm back in. I've never asked this, but how can you be your own pet, anyway?  —Joe


"Tangerine" by Tommy Newport
a single, 2023

"Tangerine" by Led Zeppelin
from Led Zeppelin III, 1970

During the week, I keep a note on my phone to shortlist song ideas for the mixtape and write little blurbs when the moment strikes. This week, the title on my phone was "Brothers, twins," which is a reference to the Portlandia skit "Bad Art, Good Walls." As I write this blub, I'm sitting in High Point Cafe in Mount Airy, drinking a latte out of a tangerine-colored cup. It's my regular coffee shop, and I've been coming here at least twice a week since I moved to Philly in 2014. They change out the artwork every month, and last year around this time, there was a photographer whose work would have fit well into this skit, including a blurry dog and the same photograph of a man twice, one in black and white and one in color. As soon as I saw them, I took a photo and sent it to the two people I knew would get the reference with the caption, "We could do a double. Brothers, twins."  —Gloria


"Vertigo" by Deafheaven
from Sunbather, 2013

"Vertigo" by Beach Bunny
from Tunnel Vision, 2025

When you're in a certain mood and you're driving through town and you're, like, ya know, pissed off or whatever, then there's music there to soothe you. I've found over the years that it's not so much the song that you're playing, but that you are simply playing a song with intention. That's key. It's not background music. It's in the forefront. You immerse yourself in the song and you start to feel better because your emotions are lifted off your shoulders and filtered through the good song. Doesn't matter what song. Seriously. Try it. Say you're dizzy with anger and the dizziness reminds you have Jimmy Stewart because of that movie. Vertigo, you remember that one. And you scroll through looking for songs called "Vertigo." You find two. Both pretty recently new (to you). One immaculate power pop from some of the best Gen Z'ers putting in the work today, the other blackgaze so shrill and epic that it feels like a gust of wind on top of the World Trade Center. They do not sound alike, except that, within your gnarled mind, they both achieve the same purpose, and so they must be the same. They are the same. They both help you in your time of need.  —Joe


"Where'd All the Time Go?" by John Vincent III
from Oil EP, 2019

"Where'd All the Time Go" by Kissing Other ppl ft. Rachel Baiman and Viv & Riley
a single, 2025

Multiple people have talked to me lately about—and, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the terminology here—having some kind of "open relationship." I asked one person, who is having relationship troubles, and waxes poetic about being attracted to his dancing partners when he goes partner dancing, if he would try that with his currently monogamous significant other. "We're already having problems," he said, "and opening our relationship won't solve them." He's right. I guess it's supposed to add to the relationship that's already secure and good. At least that's how it seems for the people who seem to do it successfully (whatever "success" means). 

There was a time a few months ago that I was in a public space and everyone started yelling "Get down! Get down!" It turned out to be a run-of-the-mill siren that I couldn't hear from inside. People don't usually yell "get down" for sirens. I really thought there was a shooter outside. And as I got down, I thought to myself, "Damn, what a shame that it might all end right now, and I never quit my job." 

Where'd all the time go? To our anxieties, fears, to the gods of social media and to the decisions that we know we have to make but just keep putting off.  —Zach


"365" by Waxahatchee
from Tigers Blood, 2024

"365" by Charli XCX
from brat, 2024

A pair for the cheap seats, two songs from two artists who owned 2024, releasing the best albums of their respective careers, both in the top three of PoYB's Best of 2024 rankings, both featuring a song called "365" that is perhaps the fifth- or sixth-best song on the album. Fuck anyone who has the technical ability and know-how to mash these two songs up but chose not to.

What to say about songs that share the same title but are nothing alike? I don't know. Maybe there is nothing to say. If pressed, I might say something like: there are coincidences in this world that mean something, but they only mean something to you in your mind, and that's where the meaning will stay; that they both bring you back to a certain time in your life and stake their claim in that era and for the rest of your life they will mean something in that way, bring back certain memories, sights and smells, and that if you're lucky to make it past the 2020s and decades into the future, you'll have a dual talisman to rub together and bring back whatever made life so special, so many years ago.  —Joe


NEXT WEEK: "It's Just a Flesh Wound" — Songs about injuries, surgeries, or blood... guys, I'm getting stitches out today (chosen by Pam)

26 comments:

Joe K said...

SONG ORDER: Alphabetical by title. I ordered each pair in the same way that I received them in the emails that you sent.

Work is being a pain in the ass today, I'm probably not going to finish the mixtape till lunchtime. Will make notes when I can.

Gloria said...

To answer the question in the intro: three pairs of song pairs that didn’t make the final cut for me were: “Changes”— David Bowie and Yes, “Utah”— Madison McFerrin and French Cassettes, and “Where’d all the Time Go?” — Dr. Dog and Lord Huron

I kind of wish I would have submitted “Where’d All the Time Go?” so we would have had four songs with the same titles— quadruplets, if you will. But my blurb was getting too sad; it was about my cousin, from playing kitchen as little kids, to his Simpson’s theme bar mitzvah, to his first job post-culinary school, to when he passed away from pancreatic cancer. The last thing he invited me to do before he got too sick was go to a Dr. Dog concert, and I couldn’t make it. It’s been 11 years and I still regret not going and still think of him anytime I hear the band.

Will probably add another thought in the comments when I finish the mixtape

Anonymous said...

That 2023 Foo Fighters album is good business.

Sam Fran said...

I definitely wrote my blurb while waiting in line for coffee at High Point (Carpenter Lane) this week. I used to also have weekly editorial meetings with Zach in coffee shops, and he never would let us meet at High Point because it was too tight. So I never really went to High Point until I moved to Mt. Airy in 2019. End of coffee talk.

Anonymous said...

Random notes as I'm looking back at what I've heard so far. This is Joe.

The rattling thing happened to me maybe a year or two ago. It was a loose screw that they told me could've spelled bad news had I not gotten it checked! So don't wait bro!!

Based on what little I know about Lucius (features with the National and War on Drugs, basically), I did not expect one of their songs to sound like the Black Keys. Agreed that you could skate to this, though.

Always good to see a pandering IJ shoutout. More Infinite Jest on the blog! C'mon everybody!!

I made an audible "oh no!" when it was revealed that Geva Alon's "Modern Love" was a cover. Gonna have to wait for Zach to wake up tomorrow morning for him to answer for his crimes.

JK there are no rules. As evidenced by the fact that at least two pairs of songs did not have the EXACT same title.

It was nice to do the annoying "song artist is officially listed the name of the fictional characters who sing it" thing that everyone hates. Thanks for nothing, Nashville!

Oh man, the wikipedia page on the monkey/typewriter theory has a pretty great anecdote. Apparently researchers in 2002 left a computer in a monkey cage, and they produced five pages, mostly the letter S, and then bashed the computer with a rock before shitting on it.

I thought about trying to get Will (of "Shake It Off" by A Golden Era fame) to blurb about two separate "Shake It Off"s, but I slacked this week. Next time!

Second week in a row with a Portlandia mention. I should state here that I do not like that show. Too much SNL-style humor that basically amounts to "isn't this thing that actually exists SO FUNNY, let's use hyperbole to make it FUNNIER!" I haven't watched too much of it though, so I'm probably wrong.

Joe K said...

My take on non-monogamy, a.k.a. "open marriage"—and take this with a grain of salt—is that it is less a "fix" for problems that a monogamous couple might be experiencing, and more of an "identity" for an individual. You either identify as monogamous or non-monogamous. And it takes a lot of communication to get to the point where two people in a relationship might realize that they identify as non-monogamous together, the communication necessary because society has deemed monogamy as "normal" and non-monogamy as "abnormal." And much like other sexual identities, if it doesn't apply to you or how you live your life, then that's totally cool. No judgments in either direction, hopefully.

Joe K said...

(This is Joe.) Shoutout to Sarah Q., who has submitted her first MMM song(s) and blurb. Hopefully the H and the Q are sufficient enough to distinguish between our new contributor and our veteran contributor Sara (who also showed up this week!). The more the merrier on this mixtape.

Joe K said...

Thanks for sharing this, Gloria. I will say generally that we welcome all sad stories here on the blog (but also understand if it feels too personal for a public website).

And oh shit, just hearing it now, "Where'd All the Time Go?" by Kissing Other ppl is a cover of the Dr. Dog song.

Joe K said...

I remember being unimpressed when we heard a couple picks during Summer Song Challenge. Let's see where it lands for which album I'm downloading this week, I guess this is technically in the running.

Joe K said...

What are the chances that you were there at the same time? Would you guys recognize each other if you were in the same coffee shop, or was 65 minutes seeing faces on Zoom not enough to go off of?

Also: I think that writing a blurb while standing in line at a coffee shop is a legitimately good idea, and I think these mixtapes would regularly be a lot longer if people also wrote quick bites while out and about running errands. Maybe you need to sit down and concentrate for other blog projects, but I don't think you need to for MMM.

Joe K said...

Also wanted to say that I texted Sarah Q. and told her that I didn't know who Jesse Welles was. But now that I'm listening to the song, I ABSOLUTELY know it, because XPN plays it for me pretty much every time I turn on that station. It's a pretty good song, even if it's too much of a Bob Dylan pastiche (the violin part is ripped directly from "Hurricane").

Joe K. said...

(This is Joe.) The actual best song of the week is "All My Friends" (the LCD version, though I would push back against the "lame" descriptor for Counting Crows, that song was pretty good!), but that's too easy. Let's give it to "Modern Love" by David Bowie. Listening to it made me remember that it's my favorite Bowie song ("Life on Mars?" obscured my vision for a while).

Album to download is gonna be Crying Laughing Loving Lying. Slaughter Beach, Dog (former side-project and now main gig of Modern Baseball's Jake Ewald) released an album a couple years ago called Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling. It was fucking great, probably his best, and I now remember that the title had been a reference to another album. And here we are. (I'm gonna have to download Carly Rae Jepsen's Kiss some other time, I keep meaning to.)

Gloria said...

I’ve heard that the infinite monkeys/time idea is impossible because even though it assumes there's no limit to time or monkeys our universe is finite — it will eventually end or collapse. Since it’s finite there's no guarantee even an infinite number of monkeys could write any of Tolstoy’s works by chance. Even if they had the tens of billions or trillions of years we probably have until Heat Death or the Big Rip, that might still not be enough.

But, honestly, I still don’t totally get it. Why we are constrained to the universe’s lifespan in this theory if “time” is assumed infinite? Why is that the sticking point?

And maybe I don’t understand infinity because let’s assume: 26 letters (and disregard other characters/spacing), according to Google War and Peace has about 560,000 words depending on the translation, and let’s say the average length of a word is ten characters (I randomly selected this). So wouldn’t the probability be (1/26)^5,600,000. The odds are bad, like really bad, that number is basically zero, but with infinity wouldn’t it still be possible? Mathematicians of the blog, please help me understand!

Gloria said...

That’s the one I go to as well, Sam! Not 100% sure if I’d recognize you from one Zoom, but if we ever randomly see each other there let’s try to write a joint MMM entry while in line, haha

The probability that we will be there at the same time is definitely higher than the probability of monkeys typing War and Peace

Gloria said...

Yeah, thanks for saying that. I feel like there are probably better places on the blog for my sad stories than MMM, haha. That’s a beautiful cover— glad the song and story made it on here today (kind of)

Sam Fran said...

I used to go in there pretty much everyday, but I'm being good and making coffee at home mostly. But maybe on a Saturday morning! I'll be typing on my phone to a MMM post while waiting for Meg the owner to call my name.

Zach said...

Sam is not wrong. The Allen Lane Train Station High Point, on the other hand, was perfect for meetings, though. Does it still exist? I'm willing to bet we discussed snow at least 28 times in that coffee shop. I still dream of the baked goods there, and I'm glad to hear Meg is still running the place.

Zach said...

I think what you said here goes along with the idea that the person I mentioned in the blurb communicated to me - that it's not meant to improve your life, that it's an identity, etc. etc. The two of them have since broken up. No judgments at all! I always want to learn more about worlds that I'm not a part of myself.

Zach said...

Sorry Joe! I am curious what torturous punishments you would come up with for offending contributors like me/what your vision of 'blog jail' looks like.

Zach said...

Gloria - "Bad Art Good Walls" kills me haha, so good, Portlandia is one of the best shows of all time.

Joe K said...

A 150-day prison sentence, move through the Queen discography song by song, in alphabetical order, write about each one. This would be equal torture for me, but I would deserve it.

Joe K said...

Don't quote me on this, but I feel like an addendum to this hypothetical is sometimes that there is an infinite number of universes too, and so the chances of it happening gets a lot better. In infinity-minus-one universes, it's mostly impossible, but in one single universe, those damn monkeys typed the damn book.

Anonymous said...

Allen’s Lane is still going strong. True story, Hannah and I became such regulars we were invited to the staff karaoke party this year, which was held at the bakery itself on Germantown Ave. -Sam

Gloria said...

Sam, my spouse and I were at their yacht-rock themed karaoke party too!!

Sam Fran said...

Did you sing? My wife sung "Hot to Go" and I assisted. I came from work and was unfortunately wearing a suit.

Gloria said...

I’m trying to remember if I saw you guys. I wore a long sleeve green floral dress— tried to bridge the gap between the cold, rainy evening and the party theme. I didn’t sing anything; I’m not shy, but also don’t like too much attention, haha