Friday, June 27, 2025

Discussion — Week 334: For Melancholy Brunettes (& sad women) by Japanese Breakfast


I'll always remember how it was a big news story (relative to the internet circles that I considered myself a part of) that the indie rock band Girls was the top hit when you googled "girls." This was in the very precious few years (maybe even months) before HBO's Girls hit the pop culture zeitgeist (what a great fucking show), but after people started to trend away from trying to search for pornography by just typing "girls" in the search bar. I am sorry to report that I typed in Japanese Breakfast to google images and it was still all actual breakfasts from Japan. You'll get there one day, Japanese Breakfast!! Comment below with your thoughts on the reviews and on your favorite Japanese breakfast foods.

14 comments:

Joe K said...

Good morning, RC crew. Thanks for nine great reviews this morning. Something I appreciated today that was threaded through almost every review, was a concentrated effort to get to know this album. That doesn't always happen. There are many times reviews whose basic premise is "I didn't get this, so I don't care." Today's reviews are filled with people who care. Even those who didn't like the album (understandable) made honest efforts to understand why. It's the journey that provides fulfillment. Thanks, everybody.

Joe K said...

So many interesting points and ideas brought to our attention today, so I'm going to underline them really quickly:

— nailing the money line from "Picture Window" and providing a movie rec (Maeve)
— likely truth that Jubilee is still better, and the idea that this is an album that you might need more than a week to get (Dillon)
— who is this for, and the divine feminine (Zach)
— the curse of expectations, and the mystery of why Peter Bradley is not on this album (Sam)
— what happens when you are told you will like something, like what does that say about you, and about the person who recommended it, and about the artist when it doesn't quite match up? (Brianna)
— the depth of the lyrics re: references to mythology and how knowing about it can deepen the experience of listening to the music (Gloria)
— the divisiveness of "Men in Bars," how it appears to be the most polarizing track on this album, and what our opinions of this song says about us (Stephan)
— the specificity of a word in the title, and how pinpointing minute choices like that can affect our understanding of the art at large (Sunny)

Joe K said...

I just appreciated how there seemed to be a real effort this week on the part of our reviewers to write about something specific, and not attempt to "say everything." If all nine reviewers choose to say something specific and meaningful to them, then this creates a rich tapestry of reviews.

Joe K said...

Boy oh boy, I did not have a good end-of-the-evening last night with FIL. It ended with him telling me that I "frustrate" him. Doesn't make me feel very good. But we listened to David Bowie, and people seemed to respond to the music, so that at least addresses some of the concerns that were raised in my review.

sunny said...

Great reviews this week. Really appreciate how different the opinions were. I learned a couple things. The undercurrent of the B-plot of the JMK family vacation was a little tasty treat on the side.

The one time I got to go go to Japan, I ate a lot of omelette for breakfast. They make them different there, which sounds like a silly thing to say about omelettes. They also have sushi Horse, which isn't related to anything, but is fascinating.

Joe K said...

I thought about that raw horse sushi a lot when you mentioned it in YSC, and now I'm thinking about it again. I'll be thinking of it today when we see some wild horses based on Sara's recommendation on last week's RC discussion board.

Gloria said...

I agree! It was a good week for reviews, everyone brought something different to the table

Anonymous said...

If you can imagine the Predator handshake meme, picture one bicep as "Japanese Breakfast (band)" and the other as "Japanese Breakfast (meal)" and in the middle clasp the words "Not for me." This is my review of two things, you are welcome for the value. - Nate

Joe K said...

I'm trying to determine what my reaction would have been if you submitted that meme as your official J-Brekkie review. Probably negative.

Joe K said...

No opinion on your review of breakfast.

Sara said...

aligned

Sara said...

I listened and didn't have time for a review. It just sounded like noise to me and somehow I could not hear a word sung half the time.

Joe K said...

Sara, I have googled your symptoms, and it's telling me you should see a doctor.

Joe K said...

We just saw the wild horses! Very cool. We had to make sure that the kids knew that they couldn't pet them like they would at home.