Friday, June 13, 2025

Punk, Gloria


The first minute of the intro to Punk is genuinely fascinating. The soft, sparse instrumentation paired with Young Thug's hushed, conversational delivery had me hooked. It felt intimate; it set the stage for what I hoped would be a thoughtful album. Unfortunately, the rest of Punk doesn't follow through.

There are a few other moments where the instrumentals break through with something cool or surprising, but they're rare. For the most part, the production sounds like it's running on autopilot with stock MIDI beats. It's genuinely boring.

I didn't do a deep dive into the lyrics, but from what I picked up on an initial listen, there's not much that feels new or noteworthy there either. And there are so many random famous artists featured on this album who don't seem to be bringing much to the table. Almost like they are just a name to add on so someone might accidentally stumble into this album when listening to another artist.

When I got to "Hate the Game," I had a thought: maybe that is the game now. Maybe it's less about artistry and more about strategy. Maybe this is just what some music looks like now: add a bunch of celebrities, hit a few presets on your keyboard, throw in some half-baked lyrics, and pray that the gods of the TikTok or Spotify algorithms do the rest to deliver your music to the right audience. I don't think I've heard enough from Young Thug to hate the player, but if that is the game he's playing, yeah, I hate it.

No comments: